Books have been on my mind today. It has been about a week since I started my after high school studies up, so I have been reading my books on herbal medicine and music appreciation. While herbal medicine contains a lot of words I have to look up for their pronunciations, music is simple and something that I am making more in depth. Both are doing their part in increasing my knowledge.
But then, there's Dickens. I won't deny that there are times when I think about putting "Our Mutual Friend" down. After all, I am only on page 210 out of 819. And it's due in like three weeks after having been renewed the maximum amount. (But lest you think I am a slow reader.....I had other things come up.) Right now, I am planning in doing the hard thing and sticking with it. The movie adaptation is just as good though for anyone who wants to be exposed to this novel....and it's less wordy.
All that to say is I've been wondering about y'all. What has been a book that you could NOT put down? Of late, the books that did that for me were "The Zion Covenant Series" by Brock and Bodie Thoene and the "The Pemberley Chronicle Series" by Rebecca Ann Collins. They aren't necessarily in my favorites category, but they brought hours of enjoyment. Sure, they weren't meaty, but sometimes, you need some "fluff."
Yet, what has been the worst book you have ever read? Either one you did put down or one that you wanted to SO much. Dickens is not quite there yet. Bu I have read two of the worst books ever. The Red Badge of Courage, by Stephen Crane I had to read for school....and hated it the whole time. It's depressing and morose and why is it considered a must read is beyond me. I also disliked All Quiet on the Western Front immensely. It also was depressing and morose, but as it was something I had to read........
What about you? I would like to know about the books that have had positive...and negative...reactions in your life!
Thursday, November 13, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)











8 comments:
Positive reactions---
Non-fiction---handsdown Bound for Glory by R.C. Sproul, Jr. This book was lifechanging.
Fiction -- Little Women - there is a wealth of wisdom in that sweet novel
Negative reactions ---
Like you, I've determined that I don't like Dickens. His paragraph-length sentences are just too long for me. And I couldn't get into Les Miserables either....even though I love the movie (70's version)
Hmmm, well the books that have had positive influences in my life would have to be--
1. "The Power of a Praying Woman" by Stormie Omartian
2. "Loving God With All Your Mind" by Elizabeth George
3. "Authentic Beauty" by Leslie Ludy
4. "The Scarlet Pimpernel" (I forget the author's name)
5. The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis
6. "Hind's Feet on High Places" by Hannah Hurnard
7. I also really enjoy some of the Janette Oke and Beverly Lewis books.
I know there are more, but this would be a really long post. =)
I think the only books that I've really disliked are some of Dicken's work...like Great Expectations. I always felt depressed after reading that book. But I would like to read "A Christmas Carol".
I just finished reading a book that I could not put down. I sat and read almost twenty chapters in one sitting! It's Tongue of the Prophets by Robert St. John. It's a biography of Eliezer Ben-Yehuda who almost single handedly restored the language of Hebrew! I don't usually like biographies, so I was wary when my mom recommended it, but it turned out to be fabulous!
A few other books that I can't put down are the Betsy-Tacy books. There are ten in the series, and every time I decide to read them all again, I finish in about a week.
Books I can't stand? There was a biography of one of the wives of Henry the 8th that I absolutely could not finish. She was an immoral woman who the author tried to justify...not good. I can't read Dickens either. Like you said, he's too wordy. But audio books for Dickens are good.
Anyway, sorry this is so long!
~Miss S.
Ooooo! I love reading so let us hope I don't overload you with my favorites! Hehe...
The Shiloh Legacy by Brock and Bodie Thoene (SO sweet! I love this series!)
Blink by Ted Dekker (Fascinating, beautiful and fast-paced!)
The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Orczy (Hilarious and oh so much fun!)
Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell (The main character isn't exactly lovable, but I really enjoyed this book!)
Legends of the Guardian-King by Karen Hancock (Loved it!)
I found all of the above very enjoyable and I could not put them down for a moment! :-D
Of books that I COULD put down (and VERY quickly) are:
Lord of the Flies by William Godling (Disturbing...though it IS considered a "thought-provoking" book. But it just gave me the chills.)
Tess of the D'Ubervilles by Thomas Hardy (Boring and depressing...though I've found most of his works to be so.)
Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens (Oh so dull...)
That was SUCH a fun post, Ella!! GREAT idea!
Love, Jessica
Thank you everyone! It is so very interesting to see what have been some page-turners. Of course, I didn't say ones that are all time favorites. That list would be far too long.
Sara, I did read "A Christmas Carol" last year and will be again. THAT one I can do.
Miss S.--I steer clear of certain bios about Henry VIII's wives. Anne Boylen in particular.
Jessica, I honestly thought you were your sister for a minute!! I click on the profile but your books don't sound like a ten-year olds. AS an eighteen year old, it totally makes sense. I LOVED "The Scarlet Pimpernel" as well. I read it for school.
Hmm, I love all Jane Austens-for the most part. Louisa May Alcott's novels are wonderful. One book I am currently reading and loving is called Green Dolphin Street by Elizabeth Goudge. I watched the movie from 1947 and found out that it was based on the book. I immediately got it out of the library. Non-Fiction, I love Shelby Foote's narrative's on the Civil War-though I usually speed read some of them-they're each about two-three inches thick. I love, love love! The God I Love by Joni Eareckson Tada.
LOL...How embarressing! :-D lol...that was an aboslute accident, Ella! LOL! It appears that my younger sister was signed in and I didn't switch accounts. *laughing*
Hi Ella,
I'm sorry it has been so long since I have written on your blog. I think of you often, and pray for you.
Sara is going to be helping me with the girl inside blog as I have had a really hard time keeping up with it - so hopefully that will happen soon!
Books I looooove?
A Woman's High Calling - Elizabeth George (yes, this is where I get the title for my blog)
Any book by Bodie and Brock Thoene - right now I am reading through the A.D Chronicles
The Mitford Series (LOVE these - have them all)
Anything by Louisa May Alcott
The Elsie Series and Mildred Keith Series by Martha Finley
Books I do NOT love ...
The Red Badge of Courage (totally agree with you here)
Moby Dick
The Incredible Journey (this made me so sad) I don't like the movie either)
Post a Comment