Thursday, March 26, 2009

I'm Not What I Used to Be

At nineteen, I feel my body is wearing down. After talking with one of my "sisters," we have bemoaned the fact that we have issues like back pains, weird feet, strange abdominal cramps, headaches, low energy, etc. I mean, aren't we supposed to be young, with springs in our step, not worrying about these problems until in our sixties and seventies? It is all a result of living in a sin filled, fallen world.

For me, that has taken on a whole new element.

If you would have observed me these past few months, you would have discovered that I squint. I have problems seeing far away; for the life of me, I cannot read signs until I am very close to them. This tiring of my eye muscles has lead to an increase in headaches which leads to one of sin issues: that of being a hypochondriac (but that is another post.) Finally, it got to the point where I had enough.....so today found me at the eye doctor.

Now this was a big deal for me. I am positively petrified of doctors; I can't stand them. I always think they are going to tell me I have some rare disease that has a mortality rate of 100%. But I knew I had to go. Shrouding myself in prayer, and knowing that family and friends were doing the same, I took a deep breath and experienced new things.

When all was said and done, I discovered that I do need glasses. I am 20/80 in one eye and 20/100 in another eye. Both of them have slight astigmatisms (which I can't remember the definition of right at the moment. It has something to do with the shape of the retina.) With dilated pupils, I walked out of the office with two things: 1.) the prescription in my hand and 2.) the knowledge that I handled myself better than I anticipated......that was something that God alone did.

It's hard to admit that I need glasses. It shows that I am not a perfect person with a perfect body, one that looks and functions correctly in every area. It's going to be weird getting glasses; it will totally change the way I look. Now, the Lord has to work on the vanity issue in me.

So, if in a few weeks and months you see pictures of me with glasses, that's why! I now have the task of finding some frames I like. (I need to try them on, but I love Sarah Palin's. Whatever you thought of her personally, you have to admit she had great glasses!)

Do any of you wear glasses? What was your experiences at the eye doctor like? Do you have any tips on what kinds to look for, etc? And for those of you who don't.....how do you feel about people who wear them?

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too just found out about a month and a half that i needed glasses. I was a 20/60 and got rectangle glasses every one said I looked like Sarah palain! So i too was not liking the idea of having them but it worked out. I really would say you should get rectangle!

Kinsey

Neesie said...

I'm not sure whether to say "poor you" or "congratulations"! I don't wear glasses or contacts so far. I have always thought that a person with the right kind of glasses can look very smart. :-) I'm sure you will look very smart and beautiful in glasses...that is if you choose the right frames for your face..and I trust your taste in that matter! Go for Sarah Palin's look! Her glasses were very cute. :-)

Anna said...

I just got glasses too. I like them a lot but it takes a long time to get used to them, but don't despair you will eventually. I am supposed to wear them when I drive and I still haven't been able to. I hate having anything near my eyes and can't stand eye drops so I was terrified to go to the eye doctor too. Isn't God good? He helps us through those situations and gives us technology to ease the consequences of sin. It's truly amazing to me how much common grace He has given! I'm certain you'll find a pair you love. Take someone you trust along to help you find a stylish pair. :)
Thanks for the post.

Alice said...

I have reading glasses. I actually really like them! My mom thinks I look better with them on. My advice is that you get ones that will stay in style for years. I got mine when I was 12, and I wish I hadn't gotten ones with black plastic rims. :P

Sara said...

Yay! Someone else in the glasses club! You will look amazing w/ glasses Ella! I can just picture you in glasses! Cool beans! Call us sometime soon, we love chatting with you!

Patti said...

I think the glasses you chose are beautiful. You look fabulous in them!!

Love,
Mom

Kelsianne said...

I wear glasses as well as two others in my family. I have found some of the cheaper kinds that I think look pretty.:) Most of all, go with what you like, and what you think would look good and you and match your style!
If you have a moment, I'd love it if you could check out my blog!
God Bless,
Kelsey

Ella said...

Thank you all SO MUCH for you advice and help. I bought a pair, though as I am not sure I will post pictures of me in my my glasses, you might never know what they look like =)

Now the task begins of trying to get used to them!

Anonymous said...

Oh man I would love to see what they look like on you! But thats ok.

Sara said...

I used to wear glasses 24/7 growing up because my eyes crossed. Thankfully that problem has almost completely disappeared and I don't really need them anymore. I love the new glasses that are out now-definitely look at some Sarah Palin ones!!
And thanks for your sweet comment on my blog. I have been so busy, but I will post again soon. I have a bit of writers block right now, so that's not helping!
Oh, and I asked for Cranford at the library-I can't wait to watch it!

Beverly said...

Hi Ella,

I'm also a member of the glasses club, but I wear contacts. Does that count?

I found out that I had poor eyesight when I was in 2nd grade. I am nearsighted with a touch of astigmatism.

I started wearing contacts in my last year of high school, but still have my glasses. I would LOVE to have a pair like Sarah Palin's - if I did, I'd wear my glasses a lot more. My husband actually thinks I look really cute in my glasses, so I wear them occasionally for him ;-)

I would LOVE to see you in your glasses - I am sure you look lovely and smart in them.

I was so enjoying your music and couldn't remember where I had heard it before - North and South!

And lastly, to end this extremely long comment, give your mom a hug for me!!

Anonymous said...

well I guess I not the only one who wears glasses! Makes me feel better!

Elijah said...

> And for those of you who don't.....how do you feel about people who wear them?

It makes them look smarter. :) Don't worry about looking different. Looks are one of the least important things in life. Character is so much more important.

Unknown said...

Hello Ella! I hadn't read this post before, but I wanted to comment on it.
Well, I do wear glasses. I know, it is incredibly hard. I basically knew I needed glasses when I went to the eye doctor, but for a while, I didn't wear them all the time. But the next time I went, about 4 or 5 months later, I found out I had to wear them all the time. I was really disappointed. For a while, I hated the way I look. Or, at least, I hated my glasses.
But the funny thing is... so I've been wearing my glasses for about a year now, all the time, and I look at myself, and I think I look weird without my glasses. After a little while, I got used to the fact I had glasses. In fact, I often think I look better with my glasses than without them. Your glasses almost become a part of you after a while, and you can't really imagine life without them.
Now that I have gotten used to them, I am very, very thankful for them. I love the way they look now, and also, I love being able to see. I remember for the longest time I had horrible vision. Whenever I take them off, I'm amazed at how I could even see without them.
Glasses, to me, are actually a blessing. Sure, they change the way you look forever, but they help you.
Anyway, those are just my thoughts on them. =) I know how you feel though... I wasn't too happy when I found out that I had to wear them all the time. But I have honestly gotten used to them, and I really like them!

~Madison