Sunday, March 08, 2009

My, As of Now, Six Week Fast

I have never done a fast of any sort before. I have known of people who have; my mom, for a while, fasted during her lunch hour once a week. But it was something that I had ever tried. I guess I might as well be honest--I like food and to go without it......it would be hard, especially as I think I border on hypoglycemic. However, this Lenten season, I decided it was time to try.

I had felt the Lord impressing upon my heart the need to give something up that I really love for Him. It isn't for any reason like the Catholics; I don't think that celebrating or not celebrating Lent makes you more or less of a person. Actually, it was Mom who said she was going to give up desserts from the day Lent begins until Easter and I thought, "I could do it too."

So I did and let me tell you, it has been so hard. I am not baking a single solitary thing until Easter, because I do not want to set myself up for failure (and trust me I WOULD fail) If Dad and Garrett want something sweet, they either have to go out and get it or have it be something I cannot stand (like pistachio almond ice cream, which I can take or leave) Yesterday, as I went to go and bake Garrett some cookies, I discovered that even the jar of chocolate chips makes my mouth water and causes my resolve to do down........

I am using this time to grow more in my prayer life. There are some things I need to work through and plus, I cannot do this dessert fast apart from the Lord. It isn't in me; my flesh loves pies, cakes, cookies, etc. But by His grace, I will make it through these next 42 days and I will have an amazing sense of accomplishment when all is said and done. To Him be the glory!

In the meantime, I won't deny I am dreaming about what I want to eat for my first dessert. I am thinking dirt pudding =)

15 comments:

Sara said...

Ella, I give you HUGE props for doing this! At times I've thought of fasting, but unfortunately the food wins every time. I think it would definitely be a good idea for me to give something up. I'm glad you are growing more in your prayer life- that is very encouraging to hear!

And I'm sure that dirt pudding will taste even better now that you've waited for it longer! =D

Bonnie said...

Good on you for fasting! You'll feel much better after not eating all that sugar and refined stuff for a while! :-) ;-)

I really like your new blog look - it's lovely! The pink text is a lot easier to read than the white on black :-)

Jenna said...

Cute new background Ella...very spring/summer"ish"!!
I will pray for you and your fast...I can understand how hard that must be - I love sweets:)

Blessings!

Kyndra said...

Hey Ella! I just found your blog through YLCF.
I too am fasting for Lent and using it as a time to focus more on my prayer life and to start a blog. Having given up caffeine, tea, and chocolate for mine, I completely understand the the struggle. May your quest for a deeper prayer life be abundantly blessed!

Anna said...

I know I'm a total stranger! I ran across your blog and I have to admit I'm very interested in how this goes for you. My husband and I were just talking about this subject so I'd love to hear about your experience. Thanks for sharing and keep it up because even random people who come across your page can see your desire to strive after God. :)
Blessings!
Anna

Neesie said...

Oh good for you Ella! I am in awe of what you are doing! Unfourtunately with your mention of chocolate-chip cookies I now want some. ;-)

Miriam N. said...

It helps to know that all the "sisters" are doing the sugar fast together. It hasn't been as hard as I thought and my family has been very encouraging.

Neesie said...

I forgot to say that I love dirt pudding too. ;-)

Ella said...

Sara, I don't have the prayer life thing down yet. I guess I should have more put it that I want to pray about certain things in which I know I need growth. Trust me, the flesh wants to win out, but I am choosing to wait--and that dirt pudding will taste all the better.

A Child of the King, I don't know if my health will improve. In the beginning, your body does go into withdrawls and then perhaps you begin to feel better =) I am glad that you like the new template.

Jenna, thank you! And trust me, I love sweets too!!

Kyndra, it is great to hear of someone else giving up something for Lent as well. I wish you the best of success with our Lord's help and grace. I am discovering that going without one thing is hard enough, so I applaude you for doing so many,

Anna, thank you for your kind words. I will be sure to update people on how my fast is going.

Neesie, I would love a chocolate chip cookie too. Why don't you eat one for me?

Miriam, I am so thankful that my Sisters are doing this in some form as well. It is a big thing that helps me stay accountable; I don't want to have to report that I have caved ahead of schedule.

Julia said...

Hi Ella!!

WOW!!! I love the new background!! THe header is gorgeous!! It has a very fresh, new, springlike feel!

Good for you on doing the dessert fast. :) I am sure that you will benifit from it in some way... that usually happens when we agree with something God is telling us. :) Maybe it's good practice on waiting? :)

And as to the comment you left on my blog - Ella! Of course you are my friend!! :D I didn't comment on any of the awardees' blogs yet becasue I ran out of time last evening. Sorry about the confusion! I actually meant if I had left you a comment, period, like, in the past, then you're my friend!! :D I'm sorry I haven't commented recently... I have been doing a lot and my family was sick for two straight weeks. :P

Blessings!
Julia

Neesie said...

Ella...stop tempting me! I need to stop eating as many sweets as I do because it will only catch up with me later in life....no I will resist the temptation to eat a chocolate-chip cookie. I will be good...atleast until this weekend! ;-)

Anonymous said...

Giving up all sweet treats must be very difficult. I decided to give up chocolate for Lent (I guess you could say I'm a chocaholic). My pastor encouraged the people in our church to fast for Lent. He said that every time we think about what we're giving up we should thank Jesus for His suffering on the cross for us and pray for many people to be saved at our Easter service. I thought that, if I fasted from chocolate, I'd be praying an awful lot because I think about it so much! I think it's great that you're doing this to grow in your prayer life. God bless you!

Sara said...

Oh my, I don't think I could do it... possibly I could go without meat...hmmm...

I LOVE DIRT PUDDING!

Anonymous said...

Good for you. It is such a blessing to be able to fast from something our flesh desires to help us remember what our spirit needs "not by bread (or desserts;-) alone". Sometimes it is hard to remember that the point of giving something up is to replace it with the One who should be our ultimate desire. I'm glad that this is helping your prayer life since that is the point!

That said, I wanted to let you know that you might not fully understand why we Catholics fast. Lent is actually 40 days (plus Sundays because we celebrate the resurrection on Sundays-- see Mark chapter 2) because it is about joining with Jesus who fasted and prayed for 40 days. If you'd like to learn more about what Catholics really believe you can check out this site.

The Patriot said...

I'm with you all the way! :) Yesterday we went to a potluck, where half the food were desserts. That was really hard! So I settled for some VERY sour berries. (It didn't help.)

There are days I can hardly refrain from eating that chocolate cookie, but it totally pays off in the long run! It's a good feeling just to feel fresh, without sugar messing things up. Stay strong this weekend! :)