Wednesday, March 04, 2009

When Balls Start Rolling....

I don't know about you, but I love when things happen. Good things, mind you, the kind of things that you have been working towards and praying about for the longest time. More often than not, it seems like life is a proverbial "yellow light;" we're always in a stage of waiting for the Lord to say, "Okay, things can start happening." My family is finally seeing prayer requests get answered.

For the past fourteen years, my parents have battled infertility. We have wanted more children for the longest time, but for some reason, the Lord wasn't allowing us to have any more. It wasn't anything Mom and Dad had done--God had decided that fact. Yet despite this, none of us was content with our looking like the average American family. (You know the picture, Mom, Dad, two kids, and a dog.) We wanted to be more unique than that; we wanted to increase our family.

James 1:27 talk about taking care of orphans and widows in their distress. So, what better way for us to follow God's calling than by adoption? In October, after much prayer, we decided to begin the paperwork for State adoption. (We would have loved to go international, but the cost doesn't make that feasible right now.) We began what we had to do.

For the longest time, we struggled with waiting. Mom, Dad, and myself all had to get fingerprinted, so as to ensure that we weren't some offenders or pedophiles. Mine came back quick as a flash--like I knew it would. Dad's were on the quick side too. But Mom's.......she had to get them retaken and then, we had to wait, like, six weeks on the FBI. (Did you know you can lose your fingerprints? We didn't until now.) It was so hard to wait during this time. After all, we felt like we were doing what God would have us to do. So, what was up with the "yellow light?"

I don't know the answer to that one, other than His testing us to see how we would respond. But finally, Mom's fingerprints came back. And now, balls are definitely rolling. For the next three Saturdays and the next three Wednesday evenings, Mom and Dad are going to be having classes that they have to take. We have finally been assigned a social worker. Mom and Dad have already met with her once and Lord willing, this month will also find us doing the home study.........it's all an adventure.

I long to get married and have a family of my own someday, but like I have told several of my dearest friends, I wouldn't miss these times for anything. If I was courting now, I wouldn't get to enjoy the planning and getting ready stages for another sibling; I wouldn't get to do the things with them that I hope to. I am enjoying watching this ball roll.........and yes, when it comes time for my love story to unfold, I will enjoy watching that ball roll as well.

God's time table isn't my own; it never is. I don't know why my family did not have more children before now. But I think I wouldn't get to see Him act as much if He had. So all I can do is stand is awe of Him right now, praise Him for what He has done and praying that He will continue to pave ways and make balls roll as only HE can.

10 comments:

Sara said...

I am so excited for your family Ella! I hope and pray that God will open up more doors for you along the way. Love you!

~Sara

Bonnie said...

Aww wow, that's wonderful Ella! Thanks for sharing! Isn't it awesome when we see the Lord do things in His time! It can be sooo hard to wait, but one day we'll know why things have taken so long! I look forward to 'hearing' more about this journey! :-)

Jenna said...

I am so happy for you and your family Ella:) It is so exciting when "the ball" starts rolling!! Keep us all updated as to how things are progressing and going!

Your sister in Christ,
Jenna

Anonymous said...

How exciting, Ella! I am so happy for you and your family. I hope this whole process goes really well.

Faith

Patti said...

It IS exciting, although I must admit, I feel like we are living under a microscope right now. Sure, we realize it's essential to screen all potential adoptive parents. Sure, we know we have nothing to hide---we don't have a criminal history of any kind that is lurking beneath the surface. But still, it feels like we are under a microscope, and that can be a bit unnerving. But when that little one that God has chosen for our family is put into our arms, it will all be worth it!

Love,
Mom

Elisa said...

How exciting!!!!! I know several families that have adopted children. Are you planning to adopt a baby, an older child(teen), or somewhere in between?
bty I really like you new background. It is very springish.
Elisa

Sara said...

I LOVE your new background. And guess what? I got accepted into the dental hygiene program! YAY!!
(I'll be responding to your email soon!)

Ella said...

Sara, first off, that is wonderful about the bygiene program!! Next of all, I am glad you like the new background and such. I thought I needed a spring/summer one =) Love you too.

Bonnie, God's timing is always the best. I think I should have learned that by now....but I always seem to forget. I will be sure to keep everyone abreast of how things are going.

Jenna, thank you. I will be sure to let you know!

Faith, thank you!

Mom, it is annoying to be like a bug under a microscope. I especially think that will hold true when the social worker comes into our home. But it is all part of the process, I guess.

Elisa, we are hoping for a child 2 or younger. With my brother and I being as old as we are, older children would be too much of "culture shock" Plus when you adopt older children, you tend to have more issues with them. However, there is a little girl who is 5 that we are interested in.

Neesie said...

I am so happy to see that things are finally getting going! You guys are such a blessing. :-)

A Joyful Heart said...

You must be so happy! I'm sure you can't hardly wait to meet your new adopted brother or sister!