I am rather on the happy side----I got several books read this past month. I count it a blessing that I know how to read and that I LOVE to do it!! I have ever since I was a little girl and that carries over into now. So, you want to know what I read:
Netherfield Park Revisited, by Rebecca Ann Collins--This is Book 3 in the Pemberley Chronicles Series that I love so much. It is fun to follow the lives of Jane Austen's beloved characters, their children, and their grandchildren. This book follows the life of Jane and Bingley's son, Jonathan, the most, but everyone plays a role. Sadly, I think in book 4 many of the originals will die.....I will let you know. Honestly, if you can find them, you should read the series. It is a must for the Jane Austen fan.
Getting Serious About Getting Married, by Debbie Maken--This is not your average book for Christian singles. Actually, it is the total opposite. Mrs. Maken presents the case that singleness is NOT normal, that it is OKAY to want something more, etc. I didn't agree entirely with everything in the book, but I don't think you ever agree with something 100% (except the Bible, of course.) I would encourage you to try and find a copy of this book. I would enjoy discussing it with y'all.
Thirteen at Dinner, by Agatha Christie--I love mysteries. Now that I am older, I have outgrown the likes of Nancy Drew (she was always predictable) and am now on to the tales of Hericule Poirot (who always stumps me and I can never figure the story out.) I can ruin this mystery for you: it is the most obvious person =)
Death on the Nile, by Agatha Christie--I think I liked this one more than the one above. You have about nine characters you get to know "intimately" and the murderer is one of them.....not to mention two of the victims. The murder scenes are never graphic; you always discover them along with Hericule Poirot.
Set- Apart Femininity, by Leslie Ludy--Per my "sisters" Anna and Miriam's recommendation, I order this book via inter library loan. I was so thankful I got to finish it (since I have been sick, I was running low on time) Once again, I don't agree with everything in the book (I am on that struggles with the "if you remain single, that's just as good as being married" thing....even though Leslie doesn't exactly say that) I will say the chapter on prayer is AMAZING, definitely my favorite in the whole book. I am resolved to pray more boldly and honestly.
Mountain of Spices, by Hannah Hurnard--I loved "Hinds Feet on High Places" and I loved this lesser-known sequel to it. It follows Much-Afraid (now Grace and Glory) as she does back to the Valley and her influence on her relatives of Fearings. Sadly, I got the book from the library, so I couldn't underline. I am going to buy it so I can!!
Yes, I read all of that. I enjoyed every minute of it!
Saturday, February 28, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)











4 comments:
I always appreciate your book recomendations:) Now I'm going to have to head to the library and see if I can find some of them myself:)!!
God Bless,
Your sister in Christ
~Jenna~
What good reading! I never even knew there was a "Netherfield Park" out there! I'll have to get it. :-)
I hope you all can find some of these and read them for yourselves!
These are all great recommendations. I'll have to look for the Leslie Ludy book. I read her book Authentic Beauty and enjoyed it, although I didn't agree with everything. I'll also have to look for the Jane Austen series. I love Jane Austen sequels!
Hinds Feet on Hinds Places and Mountain of Spices are two of my favorite books. I always find them challenging an uplifting. :)
Post a Comment