The day after Valentine's Day finds all arrangements of flowers on clearance prices....though no one seems to have a desire for them anymore. Chocolate candies and cards are either just removed from shelves or are also on discount. Reds and pinks are exchanged for the greens of St. Patrick's Day and the pale colors of Easter. Men are glad that it is another three hundred and sixty-five days until they have to worry about giving their significant other any "token of their affections." Yet in my family, the "love" is put on hold until February 15th, Mom and Dad's anniversary.
Commitment is, like, an out dated word anymore. Honestly, I would like to know the statistics of those who give flowers and say "I-Love-You's" How many are giving to the same male/female year in and year out? Or how many have a different other each Valentine's Day? For the past twenty-three years, my wonderful Mom and Dad have been husband and wife. Even though Mom doesn't really get flowers, Dad hasn't given them to anyone else in a long time.
Their legacy means a lot to me. I think it becomes even more so with each passing year, especially as I have gotten older and hope for a romance of my own. Having a success rate with them, on my mom's side (49 years and nine months), and my dad's side (55 years and nine months) is such a blessing but it also challenges me. If I had to choose between romantic happenings now and yet have a marriage that doesn't last.....or wait a few more years and have more of a legacy.....I will take the latter, despite how hard it is to hold on for God's best.
I am so thankful for Mom and Dad today. I want to thank them publicly for their years of commitment and service to each other. So it hasn't been perfect; they have had their moments of good and definitely their moments of bad. But they have something for which I long--a marriage that works.
I love you both so very much!!
Sunday, February 15, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)











4 comments:
Isn't it such a beautiful example to us? To see our parents go before us leading the way? I too, am blessed to have godly parents, that are commited to each other for LIFE!!!
Also, I would wait a few years to have the RIGHT ONE (!) rather than having multiple "others" giving my heart away.
May the Lord's will be done!!
~Jenna~
Happy Anniversary, Mr. and Mrs. G! Thank you for being a Godly example to us all!
Awww...how sweet!
Happy Anniversary Mr. and Mrs. G!!!
Mom and Dad had a wonderful anniversary. We went out to a yummy seafood restaurant and just had a wuiet day.
But yes, isn't their example wonderful!
Post a Comment