I read quite a few books this past month--I thought I would share them with you. Knowing my readers as I do, I know which ones will please/intrigue you the most.
The Beside, Bathtub, and Armchair Companion to Jane Austen--This is a compilation effort by three authors. It is more on the "humerous" side of studying all things Jane; there are interviews with other Janeite fans and such. However, I think I prefered Jane Austen for Dummies. Indeed, if I had to chose between owning one or the other, I would pick the latter. But don't let my opinion deter to. It isn't bad, just not my favorite.
Painting the Map Red, by Hugh Hewitt--March found me reading a new genre of books: current events and political ones! If you didn't know already, that (government "stuff") is a major passion of mine. So, this book is dated; it was written for the 2006 election cycle. It was interesting to know what races Mr. Hewitt thought we would win and the arguments that would help us (Republicans) do so......we lost everything and talking about certain topics was anything but helpful. But there were numerous insightful things. I enjoyed reading who he though were going to be President and Veeps going into 2008.
Upstream, by Alfred Regnery--I discovered what publishing house prints Conservative books =) The subtitle to this one is: The Acendence of American Conservatism. I had to get it when I saw Ronald Reagan on the cover =) I really enjoyed this one. I discovered what the Conservtive movement has had to go through (since all of it was before my time) It also made me hope that we are in 1976 again. Jimmy Carter flopped, the nation was ready for a Conservative....I want that to happen in 2012.
The Princess Adelina, by Julie Sutter--I was given this book for Christmas by Mom and Dad and I finally read it. It is the story of a young Christian maiden who is made the wife of a pagan ruler. It is a lot like the book of Esther. I will confess, I enjoyed it....and yet I didn't always agree with the ideolgy. The maiden knew full well that the man she was marrying wasn't a Christian, but she did it because she felt she would be saving her people. That seems to fly in the face of Scripture. The book also has a lot of false gods in it, as it takes place in the 4th-5th Centuries. S0, read it at your discretion. I do think you will enjoy it.
Oolong Dead, by Laura Childs--Another episode in the tea shop mystery books I like so well. The characters are the same and the plot is the same. You have to solve a murder. The only thing is that there is speculation if someone is having an affair....and you know, they never really tie it up. (That happened a lot in this one) The recipes in the back make my mouth water, but I had to restrain from trying any this time, since I am not eating desserts right now.
The Ladies of Longbourn, by Rebecca Ann Collins--Yes, I just read book 4 in the Pemberley Chronicles Series, the one that none of you can seem to find. Once again, I loved being exposed to my favorite characters both old and new. This time, the story primarily focuses on Jane Bingley's granddaughter, Anne-Marie. You could say there are some "feminist undertones" but for me, they by no means distract from reading the story. In fact, you learn about England in the......let's see....1860's. A lot of people were struggling with things like the slave trade, average people not getting to vote, things like that. As always, I can count on a wonderful story....and now I have to bug the guy at the library to locate book 5 =)
Hope you all have been transported into the world of reading as much as I have! What have you been reading?
Wednesday, April 01, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)











6 comments:
You have a lovely blog! The pink is my favorite color and the header image is beautiful! Did you design it yourself?
Just a quick note...would you mind if I added your blog to my links? And I would love to hear from you sometime on my blog! :)
You and Anna both read more than me this month!
I really want to read the books by Rebecca Ann Collins.
Hi Ella,
Thanks for sharing that with us! That was a very inspiring post! We love your site. Keep at it, sister!
Hey. If you get the opportunity, would you mind praying for the prayer requests that are
on our main page?
May the Lord bless you and your family!!
Mark, Lynn, Brooke & Carley Seay
www.LighthousePrayerLine.org
ps - please consider "following" our blog -or- atleast grab one of our free, linking, blue buttons. (see top sidebar at www.LighthousePrayerLine.org).
•´.¸¸.•¨¯`♥.Visit Us Soon!.♥´¯¨•.¸¸.´•
Hi Ella~
You constantly amaze me with all of the wonderful sounding books that you read:) I have a hard time finding a good book, so I've definitely enjoyed your suggestions...next on the list is the Pemberly Chronicle Series!! Sounds fantastic!
God Bless you sister:)
In Christ Alone,
Jenna
Hi Ella! I loved reading about the books you've recently devoured. I also received Princess Adelina from my parents during our Christmas. I thought your oppinion of the book was interesting, though differing from my own.
Keep posting!
(And check out mine if you have the time!)
Post a Comment