
In your life, there is probably contained within a "special someone." They aren't family, but in many ways, you view them as family. They are usually seasonal relationships which serve to bless you richly and abundantly for the time they are intended. And while eventually life goes on, and you go in different directions, nothing has been wasted; you are better for having known them. One of these such people for me is my piano teacher, Mrs. Joan Wierenga.
For three years, she was my teacher--and the best one I have ever had in my musical journey. She was an amazing example in many ways. She is a twenty three year survivor of something blastoma (which is malignant brain cancer, in case you were curious) so her faith and trust in the Lord is a definite testimony. She was the one who helped me get rid of some, but not all, of the perfectionism that is in me. Mrs. Wierenga taught me what it means to love to play.
We parted ways in September, but I continued to e-mail her. Yet her latest e-mail caused me to stop by her house.....to say good-bye. She is moving away from my hometown; the chances that I will ever see her again are slim (but I won't say they are none.)
Getting to see her brought so many memories and with those memories, there came a thankfulness from my heart to God. I truly am better for having known Mrs. Wierenga, for however short a time.
If you have someone like that in your life, enjoy every moment--and you will be better for it as well.











3 comments:
You really struck me as looking like Sarah Palin in this picture. Seriously, the glasses really make you look like her! (And you definitely look older and more mature than me ;)
I will take that as a compliment, Jen =)
Ella, you look lovely with your new glasses! It really does make you look older-in a good way. =) And I thought of Sarah Palin too. =D It's always sad saying goodbye to people who have a made a positive impact in our lives. I'm glad you had such a great piano teacher for 3 years!
Post a Comment