Sunday, March 21, 2010

Grace So Amazing I Can Hardly Understand

The bonds of legalism are strong and binding. They hold you down and smother in ways that nothing else does. Frankly, you become so accustomed to living in such a manner than you recognize a difference until you break free. All of a sudden, you feel alive and unrestricted; you don't feel tied down to behavior that resembles the Pharisee's. Trust me, I know both sides of the equation: I lived it for several years.

Though it has been over two years since I left the primary source of my family's legalism, there are days in which I am blown away by the person I was then.....and who I am now. Some of the changes I have been afraid to mention of this blog, fearing what your opinion might be. You see, Christians often feel like they have to live in a box--and then convince others to live in the same one as they do. When you don't, they have a problem with you. Bad way to be, but it's the truth.

Well, today during Communion, I was reminded of something. Legalism stems from doing. You are constantly acting, or dressing, or thinking a certain way somehow makes you holier, or more righteous, or more Christian. However, I have been made to see by the Lord that when one breaks out of legalism, you are more aware than ever before of God's grace.

See, when you aren't living according to so many rules and regulations, you discover that salvation isn't about what you do--it's about who He is. I can be a country music listening, American Idol watching, sometimes pants wearing, perfection driven hypochondriac (all of which I am, by the way =) and He loves me infinitely anyway. His approval of me hasn't changed because I have implemented some of these things into my life.

My gracious and loving Father, instead of hitting me upside the head and demanding that I change back into a legalistic individual, has said instead "I love you, my daughter, with an endless love. An endless love that extends until the end of time. You have chosen to live according to my set in stone rules while having a life all you own. You have come to the realization that you don't need to "do" to receive my love and grace---I give it unconditionally; it's always yours for the taking."

It's hard for me to understand sometimes, how my Father loves me so much.....but today, I am falling on my knees thanking Him for it!

4 comments:

Jenna said...

Hi Ella!
Isn't it a miracle that we are NOT under the law, but under GRACE?!?!!! What a tremendous blessing! We used to be quite under-the-law with all manner of different things (it can all be traced back to pride)...but we're free from that now, and I'm so glad:)


Hope that you and your family are doing well - blessings to you!

Love,
Jenna

Sue said...

We, too, love you unconditionally! Even if we disagree...or we 'challange' each other, we still love and accept you. My dear Gabrielle....no fear of man! Don't be afraid to post things that are you on this blog...it is YOUR blog, and anyone who knows you would accept you the way you are...whether you are different than they are in some areas or not. Love, Mrs. G

Ella said...

Jenna, it is such a blessed miracle to live under grace!

Mrs. G., thank you so much for your sweet words. I know you all love me despite the ways we "challenge" each other =) See you guys soon!

Anna Naomi said...

Amen. God's grace is amazing. Good thoughts on how doing relates to legalism.

It's freeing to be who God made us. I can be free as a skirt-wearing, mostly Christian music-listening, American-idol avoiding girl, and rejoice in the freedom you've found as well, and how God made us different. If we were all the same, it would be boring, after all! :)