Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Media Monday...on Tuesday

In a throwback to Disney's classics like "Beauty and the Beast," "The Little Mermaid," and "Sleeping Beauty," "The Princess and the Frog" doesn't have the 3-D animation that we have come to expect at the movie theatres nowadays. Instead, with several song numbers and 2-D animation, we are taken to 1920's New Orleans...

Tiana is a young woman who longs to open her own restaurant. When it appears as if that dream will never happen, Tiana remembers the fairy tales she listened to growing up....and kisses the nearest frog, hoping that he will turn into a Prince Charming. And while it is a prince, Prince Naveen in particular, the kiss has the opposite affect, courtesy of "The Shadow Man", a voodoo priest. Tiana has become a frog herself.

So off we go on an adventure to become human again. Tiana and Naveen hate each other at first, but after encounters with Lewis, the alligator, Ray, the lightning bug, and a "good" voodoo priestess, the two fall for each other. What ensues is the typical Disney fairy tale, albeit with a surprise or two.

My favorite aspect of this film was the musical score and songs. I love jazz like tunes, so I was in "seventh heaven." Lewis the aligator was priceless, in my opinion. And while I don't see Tiana being as long remembered as Belle, Cinderella, and Sleeping Beauty have, she is a likable heroine.

What some people might have as an issue is the whole voodoo thing. Personally, I find it laughable; how anyone could buy into it is beyond me. However, some kids actually might find it scary (and honestly, I was a little shocked that it was rated "G" for a few moments....although I wasn't scared =)

So, would I recommend the movie? I'd say "yes." I think people would enjoy it--at least for the first time.

6 comments:

Lindsay said...

We didn't go see that one. It sounds cute, although the voodoo thing is interesting. I enjoyed your post, Ella! "Media Mondays" was a great idea you had. I'll look forward to more! =)

Neesie said...

I'm looking forward ot seeing it.

Sara said...

Oh, cool! We really want to see this when it comes to the $1 movie theaters!

Mrs. E said...

Thank you for the
review, Ella! :)
Enjoyed reading, indeed.
It was lovely to visit
you again!

Many Blessings~
Miss Jen

Susannah said...

I enjoyed this movie a lot, and I thought it was VERY funny! The voodoo was strange, and I can see where it would be scary for kids...

Jessica McDonald said...

I LOVED that movie, as you know!!! :D Actually, the singing parts where one of my favorite things about it too. The songs were so cute and catchy!

I think what I liked best about the movie, though, was the cultural stuff. My grandparents and my Mom grew up emersed in the Cajun/New Orleans culture and so a BUNCH of things in the movie were pretty familiar to me and made me kind of homesick. :)

I agree about the voodoo being scary for kids! William was with me when I saw it and he, being only four, was fairly freaked out. We just had him close his eyes. :)

Love you! ~ Jess

P.S. Email coming SOON. :D