Wednesday, September 08, 2010

Real Courage

"I want you to see what real courage is, instead of getting the idea that courage is a man with a gun in his hand. It's when you know you're licked before you begin but you begin anyway and see it through no matter what. You rarely win, but sometimes you do."--Atticus Finch

I don't consider myself a particularly courageous person--in fact, I would consider myself the exact opposite. I'm the perpetual worrywart (and I have been that way practically my whole life.); I get freaked out at the thought of airplanes, cancer, etc. etc. But upon reading "To Kill a Mockingbird," I really let the words of Atticus sink in...

There is more to courage than standing before a noticeable foe; it takes an even stronger form of courage to stand in the face of the unforeseen. For Atticus, it took courage to keep defending Tom Robinson (his colored client accused of raping a white girl) in the midst of angry lynch mobs and the town's spiteful hate. He knew that is was pretty much a hopeless cause; Tom Robinson would be convicted and condemned...but he followed through anyway.

I thought about how that might apply to me. And then it hit me. It takes a lot of courage to go against the status quo, whether it be in mainstream circles or, yes, even conservative ones. Over the past year, I have seen God change me, and continue to do so, into the woman He has for me to be...but it sure isn't easy sometimes. People don't understand why I am against dating in its most practiced form--or why I am okay with girls going to college if that is the way God leads them. It's foolhardy to try and explain myself....but I continue ahead.

Instead of going on and on about myself, I want you to think about yourselves: how have you defined "courage?" I'm not going to leave you with a profound statement--I don't have one. Rather, I just want to encourage you with this: you do possess courage in some manner! Go with that today.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes! Along the same vein, at least what I've been reflecting upon lately...it takes courage to do hard things. To get out of my comfortable little bubble. :) But the Lord calls all of us to live a passionate life, full of zeal for Him and serving Him. :)

Patti said...

I know Atticus Finch is a fictional character...but such a man of wisdom. And I can almost hear Gregory Peck saying those words. I'm glad when the movie was made, that they didn't edit out some of those wise and profound passages.

Yes, indeed, courage is doing the right thing even in the face of opposition.

Love,
Mom

Heather's Blog-o-rama said...

I really love how you define courage here and I agree!!! I don't think I could have said it any better :)...and you are right about college etc...if that is where God is leading you, than you need to go. Who knows how God will use that to bless others :) :) :)...and your main responsibility is before God anway :) :) Have a great weekend, Ella!!! Love and hugs from Oregon, Heather :)