I don't know why, but I have been thinking back to my childhood lately. I recognize that not everybody has beautiful memories of their growing up days, so I count it a huge blessing from the Lord that I do. Of course, there are some negative ones in there, but now that I am years removed, I can even laugh at those and realize that they had a purpose.
**From a very young age, church plays a huge role in what I remember. Certain pastors from my days in living in Florida hold a very dear place in my heart; one of them will always be considered my childhood pastor (whereas two others are family friends =D) I remember singing in the choir; doing hand motions for children's church. I bet you could drop me somewhere and I would know my way around.
**As the holidays approach, I remember what it was like to spend holidays with family. My mom's family is out West, so I never really spent Thanksgiving/Christmas/Birthdays with them....but with Dad's parents, my Nana and PopPop, that is a different story. Nana always cooked a big Thanksgiving dinner; it was my job to set the table every year. I think I will still do it for old times sake, although I might ask for my cooking jobs next time we are together. Nana made things like eclairs, Easter bread, waffle cookies...my mouth is watering with just thinking about the flavors I grew up eating.
**I remember past vacations. The time at Family Camp when I stuck a bead up my nose (I was six when I did it ;) 1996 will go down in my memory as the best family vacation we went on. When Dad would have to go on business trips, we would sometimes tag along...and I remember staying in pretty much the same hotel every time.
**I remember past friends. I don't have any of them anymore, but they certainly brought joy to me when they were around. Now, there are memories I equate with childhood friends that aren't the greatest (like the girl who teased me about certain boys or the girl who hated my guts at school because of my grades.....) but I don't mind that I knew them; it gives me something to talk about. And of course, I remember the guys I had crushes on =D
Perhaps y'all might think me weird, doing a post on the past. But I want y'all to do something for me. Just remember--the things that brought a smile to a face when you were a kid (like for me, getting my Samantha doll for 1998 Christmas), the vacations you went on, the people you met.....and my guess is that it will make for a pleasant way to spend an afternoon.
Wednesday, September 22, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)











3 comments:
You know me, I take a trip down Memory Lane EVERY time Miranda Lambert's "The House That Built Me" comes on the radio. EVERY time I hear that song, I think of my Grammy and PapPap's house. SO many wonderful hours were spent there...so many wonderful memories.
And I can't wait until we can spend the holidays with Nana and PopPop again. Those were precious times...and I miss them alot.
Love,
Mom
...okay, so "Fish Tales" is going through my head. :) I love reminiscing. :) Even about my 'awkward years' and my terrible brace face. LOL My dolls are a favorite memory, as is the dress up parties and playing 'house' in our old basement. :)
Post a Comment