Wednesday, November 24, 2010

With Prayer and Petition....with Thanksgiving....

Somedays we forget
To look around us
Somedays we can't see
The joy that surrounds us
So caught up inside ourselves
We take when we should give.

So for tonight we pray for
What we know can be.
And on this day we hope for
What we still can't see.
It's up to us to be the change
And even though we all can still do more
There's so much to be thankful for.

Look beyond ourselves
There's so much sorrow
It's way too late to say
I'll cry tomorrow
Each of us must find our truth
It's so long overdue

So for tonight we pray for
What we know can be
And every day we hope for
What we still can't see
It's up to us to be the change
And even though we all can still do more
There's so much to be thankful for.

Even with our differences
There is a place we're all connected
Each of us can find each other's light

So for tonight we pray for
What we know can be
And on this day we hope for
What we still can't see
It's up to us to be the change
And even though this world needs so much more

There's so much to be thankful for
--Josh Groban--

I will be honest, I fluctuate between being a "glass half full" and a "glass half empty" person. It depends on my mood, my circumstances, the atmosphere outside....it all depends.

I don't believe it is wrong to desire certain things in life. Things like marriage, family, culinary school, a move, more money to go on vacations, a healing touch upon friends and family, a revival in my nation. It is these things and more that I pray for every single day. But that doesn't mean I am not thankful for what I do have.

I am richly blessed with a family that loves me and supports me--in my cooking endeavors and in my job--and puts up with me when I am highly emotional. The Lord has brought some amazing friends into my life--each plays an amazing role that can't be filled by two people. I was blessed by getting employment and the respect of my coworkers. I have a roof over my head, a nation that is free, food to eat, and clothes on my back. Most of all, I have been given grace and mercy for each day...and the assurance of Heaven when God calls me home.

I want to do better at focusing on the "glass half full"....and when I struggle, I want to pray through those moments. I realize anew that with each new hour, each new new, each new Thanksgiving, that God has showered me with blessings that I do not deserve, both physical and spiritual. It is because of Him I am--it is because of Him I have reason to sing--it is because of the Cross that I may seek everything at His feet without fear. And I am thankful for it all.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone! May you be reminded of just how blessed you are!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving, my dear friend! Great is our Lord's faithfulness!