Saturday, February 05, 2011

Being Elizabeth Bennett

When reading, I discover an aspect of myself in literary heroines. Sometimes, a character seems so much like myself, I wonder if the author didn't "gaze into a crystal ball" and see how I live. Other times, I notice that the heroine's negative traits are the same negative ones I have in my life.

My favorite book is Pride and Prejudice. I was introduced to the works of Jane Austen several years ago and I was immediately hooked. Into the world of Regency England I entered; I dreamed my dreams of finding a Mr. Darcy of my own. The first line of the novel is one I know by heart ("It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single man in possession of a great fortune must be in want of a wife".......see ;-) And Elizabeth became one of my favorite characters in all of literature.

She is the character I get when I take those personality quizzes. I admire her strength and resolve to marry for love, especially when her mother pushes her towards security. Elizabeth Bennett is not without her faults--she is far too honest, blunt, and open. I share these attributes.

Yes, they can be good qualities. Ask any of my friends and they know that I say the absolute truth, that they can always count on my to give my opinion when they ask....and sometimes when they don't ;-) I cannot stand the air to be tainted by anything; I will dig to the ends of the earth to get it cleared up if need be.

But, sometimes, I am way too vocal. So far, I haven't said anything to get myself into trouble. Yet I know it is a distinct possibility. As much as I would like my thoughts to be known, sometimes they don't have to be. I cannot begin to tell you how hard it is for me to keep my mouth shut sometimes.....I am learning.

This past week at work, I have been faced with a choice. Do I open my mouth....and promptly insert my foot as well as get into trouble? Or do I bite my tongue and keep moving forward. By God's grace, I have managed to do the later. It hasn't been easy; one or two days I was so close to launching into a tirade (like Elizabeth does so many times to Mr. Darcy), but I caught myself.

I don't apologize for being Elizabeth Bennett. The Lord put those aspects inside me for a reason. But I am resolved to keep on tempering it, at least at work, with a bit of her sister, Jane. Being strong and independent is necessary to some degree (and believe me, I embrace it)....but if my being a little quieter, a little meeker in the face of adversity causes the light of Christ to shine forth....then I am all for it!

3 comments:

Elisa said...

How true! We all have times when we wish we had just kept our mouths shut. I know I need to work on it. :)

Liz B said...

Excellent reflection! I too find myself like Elizabeth Bennet..but also like many Jane Austen characters.

I'm vocal, sometimes very prideful, and determined, but also emotional -- and sometimes, my sense overwhelms all other characteristics. :)


~Liz B

Heather's Blog-o-rama said...

I can totally identify with what you wrote here :) :) I've been thinking about that a lot lately ...just being silent..when I so badly want to speak out. Sometimes it's better just to wait things out :) :) Oh, I do love Jane Austen, too...:) :) All of her heroines are lovely!! Have a great week. Love and hugs from Oregon, Heather :)