Monday, February 13, 2012

A New Plateau Arrives



Life often takes unexpected turns. We have our own plans, only to look back a few months down the road and see that God had different ideas. Every once and a while, we are given prime days for remembering the past. We get to see just where we have been, how we have changed, how we have growth still to be accomplished.


Today is such a time for me, for it is my birthday. Twenty-two sounded ancient growing up and yet, here I am. I passed that middle school plateau (one that seemed so grown up) long ago.


I'm not where I thought I would be at this age. For the longest time, I totally believed that I would be married and have a child by now. But nope, I am still single. While some people in my life probably question my desire for marriage, I can assure them that it is still there. Hearing Valentine's Day plans and not having ones of my own can be tough on this romantic.


That being said, I have had it reaffirmed to me that I am right where God wants me to be. He wants me working at the library and doing college; He wants me living at home and yet establishing my own independent interests. These are years that should not be wasted.....


I truly hope that I did not waste my twenty-first year. I know that there was pruning and refining as the Lord taught me a lot about Himself and yes, even about myself. He has reminded me of what it means to be dependent on Him--I have seen His mercies are new every morning. I'm far from where I want to be, but I am thankful that I have yet another year in which Hr can shape me and mold me.


So that is what I hope twenty-two turns out to be for me: a time where I let Him continue to make my decisions and guide my steps. I'm just along for the ride. If God wants me finding my "Prince Charming" during these next three hundred and sixty-five days, wonderful....but I'm open to the other things that He will reveal during the same period.


Thank you, Father, with blessing me with life. Thank you for bringing me through the past year even more in love with You. Thank you for your mercy and grace and for the little things that blessed my socks off. I look forward to seeing what you do next!

5 comments:

Patti said...

This is a lovely, God-honoring post!

I think many of us can say "Amen" to not being where we had envisioned being. You know I expected to spend my 50's with little ones still in my home...homeschooling them. And yet here I am, now 51, and completely aware that was not God's plan for me. I know God's plan is MUCH better than any plan we can imagine...but it's not always easy to remember that...at least for me.

Anyhow, my precious daughter, I love you...and am SO thankful that part of God's plan was giving me you for a daughter. You have blessed my life abundantly.

I love you!! Happy birthday!!

Big Hugs,
Mom

Livia Rachelle said...

Happy 22nd! I will be 22 in 6 months. I used to wish I could get married by 18! That is EXTREMELY unusual in this day and age and was especially so for such a troubled and isolated girl as I was.

Charity said...

Happy Birthday! You are such a blessing to me (and to others) that it would be impossible for you to have wasted this last year of your life. I hope the coming year is wonderful for you.

Rissi said...

Happy 22nd birthday, Ella!

Do forgive the lateness of these birthday wishes. =)

Ella said...

Thank you SO much for the birthday wishes!!!! God blessed my socks off that day.....but He has a way of doing that all the time <3