Friday, February 17, 2012

Reliving Childhood




Despite growing older, there is still a part of every individual that loves the little kid things. The simple things are often the only things needed to please. It's licking the final bit of batter out of the bowl; it is the feel of a soft, comfy blanket on the couch. It is giving into an indulgence for macaroni and cheese or squirting the can of whipped cream into your mouth. These are just a few of the ways where we can feel like a kid again. For brief glimpses in time, we can escape the normal duties of being "grown up" and remember the past.




I'm not going to lie, I was feeling old in the days leading up to my birthday. (Working at the library doesn't help--not when you remember someone you babysat when they were three...and now they are eleven.) Studying science is also not the best subject to be studying on your birthday, especially if you are an English/literature person like myself. Suffice it to say, I needed an outlet to feel young again. I found it in Winnie the Pooh.




I have always loved the "tubby little cubby all stuffed with fluff" and his gang from the Hundred Acre Wood. I wear Eeyore pajama bottoms to bed; they have had so much wear that the elastic is officially gone. My checks have Pooh, Eeyore, Piglet, and Tigger on them. Those personality tests? I have taken them and depending on my mood, my results change. After talking with a good friend, I decided to watch both the new "Winnie the Pooh" movie and "Pooh's Heffalump Movie." I am so glad that I did.




You should have seen my face. I was smiling like a kid in a candy store. After a few seconds, I was singing along to the "theme song." I laughed at Eeyore and everyone else. For those two hours, I felt like I was six years old again. I loved every minute of it. Gone was the college student on the threshold of twenty-two, instead was a girl who wanted to find her Pooh bear and snuggle with it. (I didn't; I'm not that nutty)




I want to hear from all of you. What are the ways that you love to relive your childhood? And isn't it glorious?!

5 comments:

Charity said...

Pooh and his friends are adorable. My mother still loves Pooh -- and she's not six years old, either. ;)

I don't know that I revisit my childhood often, but there are still books on my shelf that I have outgrown but have no desire to get rid of. I don't read them often, but they are there to remind me of former times.

J. G. said...

I feel like I've relived a little childhood through your post! How precious. We're about the same age. I like watching old commercials on YouTube for things like Cabbage Patch Dolls and Strawberry Shortcake. It really brings back the memories. What a great post!

Patti said...

I relive my childhood by talking about old times with my longest friends...Gina and Kim. Or reading what people wrote in my middle school yearbook. Or looking at pictures of my beloved grandparents.

It's too bad that the Winnie the Pooh and other Disney movies we have are on VHS.

Rissi said...

You are not "old," Ella! Goodness sakes, girl - enjoy where you are now (minus those college courses, of course ;D).

Your Winnie the Pooh story made me smile - I just watched the new movie a couple of months ago while babysitting three kids ages one to eight years old. It was a good excuse to revisit the Hundred Acre Wood gang. =)

Anonymous said...

Don't feel bad, I like winnie the pooh too. When my 7 year old sister acts like she's too old for things like that I tell her I still like winnie the pooh.

Would you like to check out my blog?
http://godsgirlz1.wordpress.com