Thursday, February 09, 2012

White Collar--My Thoughts on Seasons 1 and 2



I have a silly confession as to why I just started watched this show. I knew it looked right up my alley....but I avoided it like the plague. The reason I stayed away was that Matthew Bomer (the lead actor on "White Collar") played a bad guy on a "CHUCK" episode and I resented him for it. However, with the prodding of Ruth and Rissi, I gave it a try.

I AM SO GLAD I DID!!!! Okay, I said it ;-)


The back story is quite entertaining. It's the story of a suave, debonair con man named Neal Caffery who is caught by FBI Agent Peter Burke. The two men strike up an unusual relationship as Neal becomes a "consultant", aiding in solving their white collar crime cases. Neal is forced to wear a tracking anklet; his movements are always known to Peter (which can occasionally get in the way of Peter's relationship with his wife, Elizabeth.) Neal's old friend, Mozzie, enters the picture for an entirely different reason--Neal needs help finding out why his girlfriend, Kate, broke up with him. Mozzie can help in ways that the FBI can't....and frankly, in ways that they shouldn't.


A show's success depends largely on its cast of characters. Maybe that is why NCIS is such a huge hit; you can tell that everyone likes each other. "White Collar" is the exact same way. Matthew Bomer (Neal) and Tim DeKay (Peter) have a "bromance" going on and I love it. While their characters are supposed to be at odds, you get the feeling that Matt and Tim go out and get a beer together occasionally after the shoot. It's great fun!

Mozzie (Willie Garson) is hilarious. I love a show that has a paranoid, conspiracy theorist in it and Mozzie is one of the best. (Actually, since Hodgins on BONES has toned down a little bit, Mozzie takes the cake.) The scenes in which Mozzie DREADS going into the FBI building are some of my favorites....or how he changes "safe houses" every day...those are causes to chuckle. And Elizabeth (Tiffani Thiessen), Peter's wife, is a character that frankly should get more screen time. I love her! You wouldn't think the viewers would miss her when she is absent, but you do!!! Tiffani and Tim have decent chemistry with each other (though I do wish they had written her real life pregnancy into the show)


The storylines are intriguing on all fronts, because we are always left to wonder: will Neal stay on the "straight and narrow" or will he backstab and pull another con? Season 2 ends with that question wide open. After all, a lover of fine arts finds a stolen cache of Nazi plunder.....wouldn't you be tempted? Also, the potential romance storyline that has been brought in for Neal is also something I look forward to seeing unfold.


So thank you Ruth and Rissi for giving me yet another show to add to my list. Comment away on your thoughts and I shall respond!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I knew you'd love it! :)

That is so funny that you stayed away from the show because of Bomer's stint on Chuck -- that was the #1 reason, I think, that I was interested in it. I never thought of Bryce as a bad guy...an obstacle to Chuck and Sarah, sure, but he did have Chuck's best interests at heart in the long term.

I love love LOVE how Peter and Neal work together...Dekay and Bomer are just FABULOUS. And Mozzie is a favorite of mine...any Mozzie-centric episode is sure to get extra attention from me. I just sorta want to give him a hug all the time. ;)

El has started to get more screentime in season 3 -- for a good part of season 2 she was pregnant in real-life, so that is why her time was unfortunately minimal. I love her relationship with Mozzie but most of all I love her & Peter -- it is so refreshing to see a really solid, committed marriage on TV!

Rissi said...

I am not sure what more I can say about this one that I haven't already - I just LOVE this one! The character dynamics are fabulous as are the story lines; needless to say I am officially hooked on this cool caper. From Neal's dapper wardrobe to Elizabeth's comical defense of Neal, it is a wonderful show. (And, Mozzie is hilarious!)

So glad you enjoyed this one, Ella. =)