Thursday, May 03, 2012

Will it Ever Be Me?

Even though Prince Charming isn't a real life entity (despite how real they might seem--Josh Dallas on ABC's "Once Upon a Time" has certainly helped make Prince Charming come alive =D), that doesn't mean girls don't dream of finding such a guy some day. I have a Pinterest board with eighty some-odd pins, ideas for dresses, color schemes, flowers, and photography poses that I will look to for inspiration when the time comes. The picture on the left is on the images that I would love to see in my own wedding photo album someday, lace dress and all.

However, there are days in which marriage seems like a far off possibility. Most days I do okay with it--being single. I truly believe that God told me that I was going to be married someday. He didn't tell me who; He didn't tell me when. He just told me that simple truth and so I'm sticking to it. I cling to it and in the mean time, I have a group of single girlfriends who are in the exact same boat as I am. We're all in this together....

But that doesn't mean it is easy. Some days are harder than others and usually, those are the days in which I inflict the "pain" on myself. It's the days in which I feel twinges when I hear about old friends, younger than I am, getting engaged. I have no contact with them, but by very circuitous routes, I find things out...and they always cause me to ask the question: will it really be me someday?


In today's society, marriage has been watered down to one of two things. Either people view it as a checklist item, something that is expected. Or people view marriage as an antiquated notion going out of style and therefore has no business being desired. As women, we are "expected" to believe that is we want marriage, that all of a sudden means we want to be barefoot in the kitchen with no thoughts of our own and a baby in each arm. That isn't what marriage is. At least, not how I see it.

Marriage is a beautiful thing and yes, it is something that I long for and look forward to. When  the time is right. I'm not going to have to settle for second best, despite how modern culture seeks to sway my opinion in the opposite direction. I saw the following pin on Pinterest the other day and I thought it was quite true (minus the little, albeit glaring, mistakes in grammar.) God is saving me for someone special--just like He is doing for you.

So if you have been like me, and had one or two sighs or ponderings of late, rest assured in the truth that God has extended to me: your time will come! And when the time comes, your actual wedding day will look even better than all of your Pinterest imaginings....and they might be pretty great to start out with =D

6 comments:

Charity said...

I never got any assurances on the marriage thing. I guess I will just keep my eyes open and see what happens!

Rissi said...

That special guy and day will come, Ella - never fear. I look at this time in my life as something to enjoy and even cherish because once I am married, life will change, albeit be equally wonderful.

It is fun to dream about the perfect setting, dress or photography isn't it? It may be silly but we've all done it. I found a dress some five years back that I just loved! It was unique and that is what I want to strive for - so many gowns today (wedding or otherwise) are so ordinary. But then, who I am to say what is right or wrong? The gown was lovely to someone. =)

Anna Naomi said...

Love you, Gabrielle. I can definitely relate to those thoughts. *hug*

Patti said...

Waiting on God's perfect timing is always hard. Sometimes, you begin to think it will never happen.

I do love that Pinterest quote. Indeed, yes, the waiting is for someone special. Cling tightly to that!

I love you and pray for you daily.

Love,
Mom

Unknown said...

Well said my friend!

Anonymous said...

Beautifully put, sister. <3 And I completely concur...with Josh Dallas too! *swoon*
WE'RE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER, ONCE WE KNOW THAT WE ARE, WE'RE ALL STARS...
Hehe...sorry. HSM moment! <3