Monday, June 11, 2012

New Year's Eve--A Movie Review

Title: New Year's Eve (2011)
Starring: Halle Berry, Ashton Kutcher, Jessica Biel, Bon Jovi, Katherine Heigl, Sarah Jessica Parker, Abigail Breslin, Ludacris, Sofia Vergara, Michelle Pfieffer, Hilary Swank, Seth Meyers, Hector Elizondo, Josh Duhamel, Robert DeNiro, Lea Michele, Zac Efron. (WHEW!)
Rating: PG-13
My Rating: 4 out of 5 Stars


***********************************************
Sometimes, our years do not go the way we want them to go. We have unrequited dreams, that list we crossed nothing off of. It's the year in which we don't seem to grow as a human being or it is the year in which everything good is held from our grasp. It's the year that we just want to have over. The upcoming year holds so much potential and promise, even if it is just for a short time. So every December 31st, people gather all over the world to toast the dawning of new days. Anything seems possible. But there is still that one day left to go. The ball has still to drop, the champagne is still to be uncorked.

It is on this day, New Year's Eve, that stories and people intersect, even in a big city such as New York City. You have the woman in charge of handling Ryan Seacrest and getting the Times Square celebrations off without a hitch (Hilary Swank.) You have the husband and wife (Seth Meyers and Jessica Biel) awaiting for their first child. There is the man who has to give an important speech (Josh Duhamel) only he is more focused on the memories of the nameless woman he met last New Year's Eve. There is the aspiring singer (Lea Michele) who is stuck in an elevator with a holiday hater (Ashton Kutcher) You have the chef (Katherine Heigl) who is bitter towards her ex boyfriend (Bon Jovi). See? There are yet more people walking and living on this day--this New Year's Eve--what none of them know is that the year really does hold great things for them. Waning moments do not matter in the least.
************************************************************

I remember the very first time I watched the ball drop in Times Square. It was a momentous occasion as I got to stay up MUCH later than my usual bedtime. However, I also remember thinking that the ball drop was not what I expected and, well, frankly boring. I thought it was an event highly overrated and considering I still don't watch it, I must have the same sentiments. After "New Year's Eve"'s predecessor bombed, more or less, at the box office, I figured that this "sequel'" was also going to be overrated (and the critics didn't like it to begin with). I must say, though, that this movie pleasantly surprised me.

The casting department definitely went with the attitude of "go big or go home," for every name on this list was an A list star. You have Emmy winners, Oscar winners--those are good things to have in a film. While this movie did not give members like Hilary Swank and Halle Berry much opportunity to shine, everyone did do the best with what they were given. However, the downside with doing a movie such as this is that you don't get to dwell on just a few particular characters. You get a cursory glimpse into many lives. That being said, there were a couple of more "poignant" vignettes than others. I loved Zac Efron helping Michelle Pfieffer fulfill her New Year's Resolutions in the span of a few hours (even if the age difference was majorly awkward.) I loved the funny story line of Seth Meyers and Jessica Biel trying to compete with another expecting couple for the first baby due in the New Year.....I am not an Ashton Kutcher fan, however, and this movie still did not endear him to me.

If I had to gripe about one particular thing, it would be the weird pairings between people. I get that opposites attract, I really do, but seriously? What was with the age differences? Ashton Kutcher and Lea Michele? Or Josh Duhamel getting with one of my not so favorite actresses? Ah well. It isn't for me to know the mind of the writers. What I do credit them with is keeping the content very low. This is a mild PG-13 rated flick. There is one "F" word and a few other basic profanities. There is also a tiny bit of innuendo (mostly involving a maternity doctor and then Sofia Vergara. Big surprise, huh?), but nothing that usually comes with romantic comedies nowadays.

I would say that if you are looking for something fun and festive to watch, give this film a try!

1 comment:

Rissi said...

I absolutely loved this movie! Compared to V-Day, it is without fault! Such a fabulous, sweet story and even though I am not fans of every cast member, I liked the characters. :-)

Glad you enjoyed this one, Ella - for me, I think it will be my new New Year's Eve tradition since I don't go out.