Thursday, July 05, 2012

Remembering the Other 364



Yesterday was the Fourth of July. The majority of Americans undoubtedly spent the day having barbecues and shooting off fireworks. My day was slightly different in that I spent the first part of my afternoon in the movie theater and then the remainder of the afternoon underneath a shady tree, bawling my eyes out, to Karen Kingsbury's latest book. Then we had grilled out burgers, had deviled eggs and strawberries dipped in white chocolate, and then watched "Yankee Doodle Dandy." It wasn't the average type of day, but at the same time, it was stereotypical. I did all of the things that we just associate with the holiday. (And just for the record, one day it is my dream to spend the Fourth of July in Washington D.C. =D You can't get more stereotypical than that.)

It's on the Fourth of July that we remember fighting for our independence from England. Being a American History fanatic in middle/high school, I grew up reading and learning about "taxation without representation" and the Founding Fathers. These were men who believed in democracy, in getting a fair shake, in following a set of rules and yet having your say as to what those rules are. However, as the years have passed since that day when fifty-five men put pen to the Declaration of Independence, we have not honored the memory of Washington, Adams, Franklin, Jefferson, and others like we should have.

We have been richly blessed to live in the United States of America. We have the ability to worship the Lord in freedom and peace; there isn't any fear of secret police arresting you at clandestine meetings. We have the ability to vote for whichever candidate we want, regardless if they are Democrat or Republican; we aren't forced to vote for the Government's candidate. As Americans, we have been given the freedom of speech, the freedom of religion, the freedom to keep and bear arms--not all countries can say such things for their citizens. It's for all of these reasons that we should get down on our knees every day and thank the Lord. Because they can just as easily be taken away from us.

It's common knowledge that we live in very interesting times. Our freedoms can be and sometimes are being stripped away at any possible moment. The last thing we need to do is turn a blind eye. The men who fought and died on the battlefields of Valley Vorge, Saratoga, Bunker Hill, Lexington and Concord believed in a cause. An important cause. They wanted the future citizens of their beloved land to always carry important freedoms close to their hearts.

We truly live in a beautiful country and I'm not ashamed to say it. I love this country. I love looking at the American flag soaring high in the sky. I tear up during events that honor our military. And yes, I love all of our patriotic songs and dressing in red. So as we have our barbecues and fireworks, as we gather with family and friends, may we try to remember that the Fourth of July is more than a day. Its name should be synonymous with "freedom" and we have those every single day. May we cease turning our eyes away from God in these days....without God, we are nothing. The Founding Fathers knew that.....and we should too. We have much to be thankful for three hundred and sixty-five days of the year.
And just because I couldn't resist, I had to add a video of our National Anthem sung by Carrie Underwood. Happy (albeit belated) Fourth of July, y'all!

Ella

3 comments:

Charity said...

Excellent post.

As I watched "The Patriot" last night, I thought of how ashamed I am that we have mistreated our freedom in such a fashion -- that we have indeed, as Franklin said, sacrificed it for "safety" and gained neither. Many people paid for our freedom in blood, and what do we do? We sign it away for more benefits, for more free "stuff" (that isn't so free) from the government. We use it to kill the unborn, and force God out of our schools and government buildings, and now we have unconstitutional judges in office.

I spent quite awhile last night in tears, begging for forgiveness. I just hope it isn't too late.

Grace said...

I absolutely agree with you! Great post. (you must get really tired of hearing that all the time, but it's true! =)
- Grace

Rissi said...

This is still the greatest country and I am proud to be American BUT I hope that we are able to stand up and "rebel" come this election because if things continue on... it could get very bad! Free will is one of the greatest gifts.

Hope you had a wonderful July fourth, Ella!