Sunday, May 05, 2013

Book Review: Wishing on Willows


Title: Wishing on Willows
Author: Katie Ganshert
Published Date: 2013
My Rating: 3 1/2 out of 5 Stars

*************************
Book Synopsis from Back:
A three year old son, a struggling cafe, and fading memories are all Robin Price has left of her late husband. As the proud owner of Willow Tree Cafe in small town Peaks, Iowa, she pours her heart into every muffin she bakes and espresso she pulls, thankful for the sense of purpose and community the work provides.

So when developer Ian McKay shows up in Peaks with plans to build condos where her cafe and a vital town ministry are located, she isn't about to go without a fight.

As stubborn as he is handsome, Ian won't give up easily. His family's business depends on his success in Peaks. But as Ian pushes to seal the deal, he wonders if he has met his match. Robin's gracious spirit threatens to undo his resolve, especially when he discovers the beautiful widow harbors a grief that resonates with his own.

With polarized opinions forming all over town, business becomes unavoidably personal, and Robin and Ian must decide whether to cling to the familiar or surrender their plans to the God of second chances.

**************************
My Review:
After reading Katie Ganshert's debut novel, Wildflowers Before Winter, I found myself to be thoroughly engaged by this writer. Most current novels are horribly written, whereas Ms. Ganshert appears to break the  mold. So when I knew that another novel, a sequel, would be published, I had to get my hands on it.

It takes place three years from where Wildflowers Before Winter left off. Robin is a character that quickly captured the hearts of the readers. Who doesn't feel for a woman who loses her husband as she is pregnant? Well, it was great to see her story. Along with Bethany and Evan, the two main characters previous. It was wonderful to go back to Peaks, Iowa and see the cafe that Robin and Bethany had worked together to build--one that symbolized healing and restoration.

Enter Ian McKay. I quickly fell in love with him, even though I knew he was "the bad guy." I had a sense of mystique associated with his character, and as the book progressed, we discovered what that was. I love how he related with Caleb (Robin's son). In fact, Caleb was one of the most darling little boys. I'm a sucker for those in books.

One thing about Wishing on Willows disappointed me, which is why I gave it a lower rating than the previous book. Wildflowers Before Winter did an amazing job of going back in time, to why Bethany was the way that she was. While that happened with Robin to an extent, I felt it could have been way better. I wanted to feel more connected as to "why" she didn't want to let go of the past. I got it. I just like expanding on it. And.....don't kill me....I found Robin slightly annoying sometimes. I know. I know. I should always like the heroine, the protagonist and I did. I wanted her to not seem so selfish, so confined to the past.

And the ending was somewhat abrupt. I knew how the book would end--books are always predictable--but Robin seemed to go from one opinion to the next in the span of two chapters.

However, I was still impressed with the book. I picture the town, I picture the people. I love books about second chances. I would definitely advise you reading Wishing on Willows for yourself! I can bet on the fact there will--probably--be a third one.

Thanks to Blogging for Books for a copy for my honest review

Ella

3 comments:

Rissi said...

These books are in my plans to read someday soon. Everyone says they are charming, wonderful and compelling reads. Glad to here you recommend them also, Ella. :)

Heather @ Simple Wives said...

I enjoyed reading this book, too! :)

Arielle Melody Bailey said...

Sounds very interesting.

I tagged you here: http://thesplendorfalls.blogspot.com/2013/05/tags-part-one.html (The first tag.)