Thursday, March 22, 2007

Spring Serves as a Reminder





Spring is finally here in Idaho! I am not sure if this daffodil picture was this year or last, but needless, the daffodils are blooming now. The trees are budding with the promise of soon to be fruit harvests. You can look and see willow trees getting greener and greener. Oh, I love spring! Since I am a flower lover, naturally I love the awakening of these plants.


It isn't only vegetation that springs anew. Garrity and Mom went fishing today, and Garrity shot this picture with his new camera. It seems that once spring arrives, all manners of animals start coming out from their winter listlessness and show their faces. Unfortunately, I do not have pictures of baby ducklings, lambs, and all cute little ones, for that is another part of spring.








However, spring can serve as a reminder of God's love for us. We all know that you cannot have a spring without a winter. You have to go through the gloom, the cold temperatures, the barren landscape so that we may experience the joy of spring. Personally, I don't think the season would mean as much to us unless we went through the "difficulty" first. Now, I love some aspects of winter, but I do like spring more. The same is true of the circumstances in our life. We all have areas of our life that seems so hard to bear. It appears as if life is going to remain in either this humdrum or upheaval forever, and we wonder what the purpose of it all is. I have had many such times in my life, and I think I can give a little bit of an answer. God brings these times into our life to help us see the beauty in them....like with winter. After we have had it for a while, we see that the pure white of the snow is absolutely beautiful, or we recognize that cold evenings means tea or hot chocolate. And then, after we have been learned the art of being content, God brings the sunshine, the warmth, the spring, back once again....and all because He is a loving, gracious, God.





Maybe for some of you, the season of winter might be over in time, but not in your life. Or maybe it's the reverse. I can tell you this: both times of winter will end one day, and until then, God gives us the strength to get through the "rough" times. We can rest in that. Each season of the year, and of life, is an adventure, and each is special, though we can't always see it at the time. However, sunshine will prevail once again...and enjoy it, for I know that the "roughness" will seem like it's returning. Yet, remember, it isn't forever. So, while this season of spring, go out and enjoy it. Go ride a bike, or pick some lovely flowers, and remember the great God who gave us both the winter and the spring!


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post!! I, too, think that spring is even lovelier because of the barrenness and bleakness of winter. I think we appreciate it all the more for having gone through winter. And we appreciate the blessings in our lives even more after going through hard trials.
Love,
Mom

Ella said...

You are so right, Mom. You always talk about spiritual lessons from spring, and this one came to me in the shower!

Anyway, I do appreciate spring...both in the time of year and in my life!

Shifty said...

Awesome post Ella.
What do we want most? The things we don't have of course. The more we work hard to get those things, the more they will be apprieciated. We can also compare this to Christ saving us on the cross.
The other week pastor Chris asked this questoin: "Why did Christ die?" Many people simply said, "Well, to save us from our sins and an eternal life in hell."
Pastor Chris then said, "WHY did He DIE?"
The answer is simple. He died to give it some significance. We as humans are afraid of death, therefore he did so much as to die for us, because he loved us. He went through hard pain so we would apprieciate him more. So we would appreiciate the "spring" after the "winter"

Ella said...

You're right, Shifty. God did more than he had to in order for us to appreciate it more.

You should be a preacher! :-)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

AAAMMMMMMEEEEEEENNNNNNNN
The WOlf

Anna Naomi said...

Great post, Ella! It's funny - I saw this right as I was composing my own post on the lovely spring!

Our daffodils all disappeared probably a week or two ago, and are replaced with all the beautiful, brightly-colored flowers. So fun!

However, the weather is now starting to feel more like summer. Alabama weather gets so warm - it's the middle 80s most days now!

Ella said...

Wow, Anna! I can't believe it's the 80's there already. Then again, it is the South =)

Anonymous said...

I love spring. fall is awesomer, though. hmmm, I should get some spring yarn.