Thursday, March 08, 2007

Why do I Play?

God is very good! I will be able to attend my competition!! My throat is only a little bit sore, and I do not have the congestion in my nose anymore. I look forward to this every single year that I do it; this makes number six. Yet, as the days, or rather hours, approach, I always need to remember why I play the piano.

It is so easy for me to get sucked up into the world's philosophy of playing for people's applause. (Personally, I don't know how many people really enjoy playing for their own enjoyment.) Yes, it is nice for people to praise your ability, or the complexity of your piece, or how much like the composers of old you are. However, I have learned that that can't be the sole reason why I play.

God has given me the gift of playing an instrument. I know that doesn't happen for everybody. (But we all are blessed in some way! :-) Yet, I need to have Him be the sole purpose of playing. After all, He is the one who gave me the talent, so why shouldn't he be my main audience? If I lose sight of that, and make myself the focus, then why should I be playing at all?

I need to remember this in reference with my competition. I can easily get distracted with the fact that if I were to get superiors in both my piano playing and my theory test, I would get trophies in both categories. However, I REALLY don't want to think like that. Tomorrow, I want to go into that room with the judges and play as if it were just Jesus and me, having a simple, cozy family concert. Not only is that right, it also helps soothe the nerves.

I try to make it my habit to always pray before I play wherever I am, whether at church, a recital, or a competition. God alone gives me the strength and confidence to play the best I can, and for Him alone. I always hope I will be like this!! I never want to lose sight that He is the greatest person I could play for. No matter what rating the judges give me, as long as I play for His glory, I have a superior in Christ's eyes.

9 comments:

Carl said...

I'm praying for you and can't wait to see how you do!

Anna and Miriam said...

I'm praying and looking forward to hearing how you did. I'm sure you'll do well.

Something I've always been told is, even though you may mess up, the judge will know if you really know your piece or not. And they go by that (or should). :) That's happened a couple of times to me.

Miriam N. said...

That was me, by the way. =)

Anonymous said...

It is always part of our fleshly make-up to want the approval and applause of man. And oftentimes, when we get it, it doesn't satisfy. There is a shallowness to it...I think that is because deep down it is really the Lord that we want to please, and playing just to impress others and have them think so highly of us doesn't please the Lord.

So I like your idea of playing for the Lord alone, as if no one else is there.

I love you! And I love to listen to you play.

Ella said...

I will be sure to say how I did! Thanks for the prayers so far!!

Miriam, my teacher has told me that a couple of times. So, if the trills begin to bug me, I should ask as if nothing is wrong, and who knows? Maybe the judge won't pick up on it!

Mom, thanks for knowing why I play. I sure wish you could be in the room encouraging me!

Alice said...

You need to post about your competition!!!! Or e-mail!!!!

Miriam N. said...

I second what Alice said. I'm really wanting to know how you did!!

Shifty said...

Ella:
I know that you already did your piano festival and I am kinda sad that I haven't been on blogger in forever to read about stuff, but I just wanted you to know that we are all reaally proud of you. You kept us updated on your practices and always told us about this day, and I think I can speak for everyone else and say that we are truly happy you were able to do it after all the work and wait. Ok, I'm out. Prolly talk to you sometime this week eh? ;)

Ella said...

I will probably know today, ya'll, so....as soon as I do, you will definitely be told. Thank you all for your support!!!