Submission is something that I want to get better in. Lest you think that I have it all together, I want you to be made perfectly aware that I am not. I know that the way I submit now will be the way I submit to me husband…and I do not always act correctly.
I have mentioned that my family has started a woodworking business. And while I like the money that comes from my share of the profits (as I do the books) I don’t like going from woodshop to woodshop. The guys look at exotic woods for what seems to be hours, as Mom and I stay in the car. If I have it right, we have made stops at five wood places, with at least two more planned ones to go.
I will confess that I don’t nearly “do hard things” as often as I want. I am a sinner, who doesn’t always want to be inconvenienced. In fact, I will admit that I can be selfish about it. After all, I don’t go in the wood stores and I don’t care to “shop” as often as we do. It is terrible, but I realize that I want the benefits of the business without all the necessary measures of it.
While Dad never gets angry at me when I make a fuss, I know that he is grieved by my actions. (Mom is too, even though it might bug her some too. She is just more understanding than I am.) However, I grieve myself. I talk on here about submission, but I don’t always practice it myself. For that, I am sorry. I pray that by God’s strength, I will get better at this. I want my husband to get a totally submissive wife! I also need to remember that the “trials,” even ones as mundane as going from wood shop to wood shop, develop character…and I can always use a better one.
Again, I want to know your thoughts. Do you struggle with submission to your dads (or perhaps, if someone married is reading this, your spouse?) How do you better yourself in this area? Or is it just easy for you? If so, how did you get that way?
Monday, September 10, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)











6 comments:
Thank you for being honest, Ella. It's helps when others share their real life struggles. May we all work together to "do hard things"!
Sometimes it's hard to submit to my parents decisions, but I am trying to learn to follow their wishes without complaining.
Anna, yes, let's all help each other "do hard things." I felt I needed to be honest, for like you said once, people can think you are superhuman.
I hope I will get better in submission soon! But I know it will always be a learning process.
I have that problem, too. It helps me to realize when I am being UNsubmissive. When I am in that position, most of the time I have forgotten what I am SUPPOSED to be doing, so a reminder is usually effective. And God helps me remember when it's happening! I hope that makes sense...
Thank you for your honesty, Ella! Boy, do I struggle with this, too! I find myself writing articles on submission for my upcoming website (more on that later) and then I find myself being completely unsubissive and it grieves me as well. I just have to ask the Lord for His strength and forgiveness, and for the ability to do better next time. That's really the only way any of us can get any better in these areas.
it is hard to be honest to people about your failings. However, I think it is how we grow more and more into Christ's likeness. It also grieves me when I am unsubmissive.
I think that's true. And it also helps to know that there are also others out there that struggle in the same way(s) you do.
Post a Comment