Today is my last day of "summer" vacation. Where the time has gone, I have absolutely no idea. It has been great fun...especially having the alarm clock off. However, it is back to waking up with the alarm clock and to the books. I wanted to give ya'll a run down of all that I have looking at me this year. I don't know if being a senior has anything to it, but there just seems to be a lot!
Let's See....my math will continue to be Abeka's Consumer Math. I didn't get it quite finished last year. I will be honest, I have enjoyed not doing calculus:-)
English/Spelling/Grammar/Composition/Literature will also continue to be done with Total Language Plus. That has been my material for several years, and I heartily enjoy it. This year, my books will be The Scarlet Letter, Jane Eyre, and short stories by authors like O Henry and Edgar Allan Poe. I am looking forward to some more than others. (I have found Poe VERY morose and depressing.)
History and Geography will be Beautiful Feet, as it has been for several years. Due to where I ended last year, I will be starting at The Great Depression and going past Vietnam. So, some more book titles will include: To Kill A Mockingbird, The Diary of Anne Frank, The Story of the Von Trapp Singers, and many others. Again, I do not relish some....would you like to be reading biographies on Hitler and such? I am trying to remember that I cannot live in the American Revolution and The Civil War; these former events are ones that have shaped the world today.
I am doing Government this year and also Economics. What curriculum I will be using I don't remember. I am really excited to do Government; it absolutely fascinates me!! Though it depresses me too when I see how far we have strayed from God.
Science and Logic will also remain the same as last year. I am so glad that we have found something that works for science....and that I can understand it! :-) Logic is a great deal of fun. When we first began, I got so exasperated when I couldn't figure out the puzzle right away. Yet as we have worked on them more, we have increased in difficulty, which is a very rewarding feeling.
I cannot forget Bible, which is the most important subject we can focus on. Yes, Garrett and I each do our own quiet time, but we do it corporately as well. This year, we are going to be reading through the New Testament using the ESV Bible.
That is to be the bulk of my subjects this year. Now, if you take in to consideration that I still have piano lessons, going to the Dysktra's, HopeChest and Seasons at Home writing, working on a book with Erin, 3GWoodworks "stuff", sewing, keeping in touch with friends across the U.S., spending time with family, all without losing sight of the Lord getting the glory, I am really busy!!!! However, I am so glad that I can do these things from home, and that God has given me each blessing. Yet for now, I will enjoy the few hours I have left of my break. I will be doing something with Dad tonight, but he is keeping it a surprise. I will have to let you all know what it is, and how school begins, soon!!
Wednesday, October 17, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)











8 comments:
Alot of work for you also means alot of work for me....I have to read and critique all those writing assignments that come from all that reading!
It sounds as though you'll be doing some interesting subjects this year! I hope school goes well for you this year. Let me know if you like Diary of Anne Frank. I started it quite a while back and didn't like it much, but maybe that's because I was pretty young.
I hope your senior year is your best one yet!
Mom, I know it means a lot of work for you....yet I do not think you'd have it any other way!
Anna, I will let you know on the Diary of Anne Frank. I must say that I am not excited to be reading so many books on Hitler's regime. However, these books play major roles, so I will be glad to have read them and give a decent answer. I hope your senior year is great too!
Sounds like a thorough and exciting year! Can't wait to hear your thoughts on some of that literature!
Mrs. Beverly, I will make sure to tell you all about my books. Literature is a big deal to me!
The Scarlet Letter is a really sad book, but it's well written. I've read it twice because I really like the poetic manner in which it's written.
The Diary of Anne Frank is a good book to read so that you can see how a family survived during that time, but there was a part or two in it that is definitely for an older reader (older teens).
Oh, and To Kill A Mockingbird is a great book! It's very honest and upfront and there is a lot of feeling in it. I enjoyed it a lot.
Miriam, I liked your perspective on the books! I will have to let you know what mine are. The Scarlet Letter, of the three, is the one I am reading first. I know the story line, as Mom and Dad have talked about reading it in high school. However, I am looking forward to knowing it myself!
I've read To Kill a Mocking Bird, The Scarlet Letter and The Diary of Anne Frank, but I haven't read the others you've mentioned. I hope you have a truly wonderful senior year!! It is way too hard to believe that I'm only 2 short years away from mine as well!
Post a Comment