Monday, October 22, 2007

A Good Read

Ever since I was little, I have loved to read. While I cannot remember it, Mom said my favorite in younger days was Minnie's Slumber Party. Now, I can be perfectly at home with a cup of tea and Pride and Prejudice or Little Women. However, I try to not have fiction be the only genre I read. Yes, there is A LOT of good out there, which gives me an excuse to read many classics next year, as opposed to reading college textbooks.

Well, the book I absolutely enjoyed this time was in the biographical genre. Normally, I read those when the family does, like during our morning school time. I also read biographies that are required, like Stalin and Hitler have been. I am shamed to confess that I don't choose biographies with one exception....or rather two. I did that Ronald Reagan research paper, and now, I have read A Man Called Peter.

Wow! Talk about a phenomenal book! I believe by chapter one I was engrossed in the life of this man. I haven't been clueless about him. In fact, it was his stand on womanhood that drew me to know more. As I finished the book this weekend, I came away with a greater respect for this rather unknown man...and the desire to buy the book for many future readings.

I just wanted to share some of his words, put down in this book by his wife, Catherine. Some made me laugh while convicting me, others made me get excited. Perhaps they will for you too.

"You know how a gardenia's petals reveal any telltale fingermarks by turning brown. Your lives are like that. Purity is like that...Young people, don't give anything to the world to destroy. Don't be ashamed of high ideals, dreams, and beautiful thoughts."
"I believe that womanhood has been definitely lowered by equality with men. For nineteen centuries woman was revered and respected and on a higher plane than man."
"Help us do our very best this day and be content with today's troubles, so that we shall not borrow the troubles of tomorrow. Save us from the sin of worrying, lest stomach ulcers be the badge of our lack of faith."
"I learned that with God's help, with God standing beside us in the midst of trouble, we can bear anything and come out victorious."
"We human beings can never deserve any of God's good gifts..that when we do the best we can, our best is still not good enough to merit anything from the Lord. We can get nothing and deserve nothing except simply by grace through faith."
Anyway, I wanted to share these with you today. They spoke volumes to me! I have a lot to fill you in on regarding family things....but that is another post for another day! My prayers are with you this day!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can you imagine a man today saying the words "that womanhood has been lowered by equality with men." I think a man saying such things today would be raked over the coals and more!! It isn't politically correct to say that....but I do so agree with him.

Sounds like a great man with much wisdom. I will have to read this book too.

Ella said...

Yes indeed, Mom, Peter Marshall was definitely a politically-incorrect man. I wonder what if he would remain true to this stand, or like many, such as the pope, he would cave in?!

Miriam N. said...

A Man Called Peter is a wonderful book! I read it last year and was overcome by amazing ways God used him. I also loved his stand on womanhood. I posted one of his sermons on womanhood on our blog once.

Ella said...

Miriam, I remember seeing something on your blog about his sermon. Unfortunately, I had to return the book, which had a bunch of them!! It gives me an excuse to read it again!

Erin said...

I agree with his statement about womenhood being lowered. With the rise of 'eqaulity' with men society have lost many of the great things that make both males and females unique. One thing in particular I feel we have lost is the strong leadership of men in our society. Many are stepping back and leting women lead in the family, church etc. I'm glad many people are willing to stand against the current trend.

I hadn't heard of Peter Marshall before, I'll have to look him up, thanks.

Ella said...

Erin, I agree. Men are letting women lead now, which is a big problem in my opinion. (It's my turn to be politically incorrect now) I pray that God rises up godly men to lead, and godly women that will make a huge impact in the home. I would encourage you to look into Peter Marshall; I am glad I did!

Miss Rebekah Ann S. said...

Oh what a wonderful sounding book!! I can't wait to find it somewhere and read it! Thank you so much for sharing those quotes with me! I loved and was very impressed by all of them, especially the one on equality. Praise God for such a man! Oh, Lord, please raise up more like him!

Miss Rebekah Ann S. said...

He's quoted in So Much More as well.

Anna Naomi said...

I'd like to read the book when I get the chance. I've seen the movie A Man Called Peter and it was really good.

Ella said...

With your recommendation, I checked out A Man Called Peter today from the lubrary. I will have to see what I think of the video!