Lately, I have been trying to find ways to honor, serve, or please him. It isn't always easy to come up with. Whereas my love language is quality time, with gifts and encouraging words as close seconds, Garrett doesn't quite have one that I can lay my finger on. Yet I have discovered three ways.
First, I appeal to his appetite. What teenager doesn't like food? I always try to have yummy treats in the house on a weekly basis. It might mean dessert with dinner or cookies out of the blue. Regardless, I can plan on the stuff being gone a few days later,
Second, I wear pants every once in a while. Predominantly, I wear skirts. I find them more comfortable and feminine. (Yet I also know limitations with them. When biking, hiking, or some other activity is planned, I wear pants/capris for modesty.) That said, Garrett prefers pants. So, about once or twice a week, I wear them...knowing full well that he will say, "Nice dress code today!"
Lately I have discovered the third way to make my brother happy. I play the computer with him. Okay, you might think that isn't a great way to spend time, and granted, you are right. However, Garrett likes it....A LOT! So, today, even though I had HopeChest Magazine work to do, and I had A Man Called Peter on my nightstand, I played anyway. I will confess that at first, I did it a bit half-hearted, yet it got fun!
The game we play is football. I can't play any of the other ones we have!! (I guess when it comes to electronic gadgets, I would rather put a movie in the DVD player.) I do like playing football. I am always one particular team; Garrett switches every now and then. So, take a guess at who I was? And you can laugh at the score all you want...our defense really did exist:-)
So, I would encourage you all to find ways to lift your siblings up. Sure it isn't easy. I mean, I have a desk "littered" with articles that need judged. However, I also realize that that isn't as important as cultivating a relationship that I will have for the rest of my life. God has shown me that my brother can be a lot of fun!











12 comments:
Followers of Jesus are called to give up their lives for him. Now most of us won't be called to give up our physical lives. Probably very few of us will be called by the Lord to die a martyr's death. But all of us are called to give up our daily lives...our wants, our desires, our plans for the day. And the Lord is glorified and honored when we put aside what we were planning to do in order to spend time with someone who wants to be with us. Good job!! And I'm glad you had fun...an added bonus for doing the right thing.
And by the way, you really never have been at each other's throats. You have nit-picked and even tattle-taled when you were younger, but there was NEVER at all out war with one another!! Just setting the record straight.
I am not sure, Mom. Sometimes Garrett and I were out to get one another. I am so thankful we improved. God is changing me, slowly bu surely. That said, I don't feel like I have to play the computer every day.
LOL, there was a time when I was bigger than my brother - Adam happened along 4 years after me! And I would literally have him by the throat.
Yes, I was very lady-like. *shakes head*
You will never regret the bond you are making now with your brother. Never. Ever. Please enjoy these years!
And thank you for the message!!! It really blessed me. :)
I'm so glad to hear you are loving and serving your brother and in turn are serving the Lord! I had to chuckle -- I've been there with the football games with my hubby;-)
Ashley, I am learning to enjoy my brother. It won't always be easy, though. I am so glad that you were encouraged by the message. I will be praying for you.
Mrs. Beverly, once again, I know that I am serving the Lord, and that makes things worth it.
Great going, Ella! Each sibling is different, and it's good to find ways to connect with their specific likes. And, often times we figure out that it's actually fun!
Hahaha...very funny Ella! It was very sweet of you to play football with your bro, and in doing so you were, as many have already said, honoring God with your actions. Unfortunately, I do not have a brother....or any other sibling in the house at this time, but I hope that I can use this gift of "serving and self-sacrifice" in my later life to come. I'm sure there will be many oppurtunities!
Anna or Miriam (Whichever it is) I have found my brother's likes. That has been a big help!
Neesie, like I have said, I only have a brother. I often wish I had more, but for now, learning with and about Garrett is good.
That was me... Sorry, I often forget when I'm signed in as both of us and leave a comment using that account! =)
Ella, thanks for sharing the ways you are learning to be a blessing to your brother! It's encouraging that you see the importance of the "small" things. Building a good relationship with your brother will be such a life-long blessing for both of you! Have you ever read "Making Brothers & Sisters Best Friends" by the Mallys? It has some great suggestions for cultivating close sibling relationships.
I also have one brother (older), and admittedly we've had a pretty easy relationship and get along great. But it's still important for me to do things he likes instead of always concentrating on "my stuff". A lot of times he just likes to come in my room and chat while I'm doing something. He also likes it when I watch movies/programs with him - I've tried to insist that I'm not "doing anything" by being there, but apparently my being there is what he likes...Can't argue against that. :-P
And the yummy treats idea is one that pleases most any guy, my brother included - he loves it when I bake stuff!
Keep it up the good work. :-)
I too have one brother, at the moment we are sharing a unit while our parents minister in the country. There are definalty times I have to work on loving him!
I agree that baking is a big winner. When I start mucking around in the litchen a head pops out of his room and "what'cha making?" usually follows.
Another thing that I consciously do is not nag. Cos it's just us and Josh doesn't always see the things that need to be done I gently remind him, but don't keep nagging him about it. I know he'll get around to it eventually, and me asking him if he's going to do it every 10 minutes only makes us both frustrated.
thanks for a great post
Post a Comment