Amongst the turkey dinner, the times with family and friends, watching the Macy's parade, and sleeping, there is one detail that sadly gets overlooked. Today, people think Thanksgiving is just about these details. However, there is more to the day. While we should do it always, it is a day set apart to remember our blessings from our Loving Father. I desire to do just that; I realize how much I have been blessed this year.
First and foremost, I give thanks for the Lord himself. The fact that He has chosen me as His daughter is humbling enough. Yet over this past year, He has taught and revealed so much to me. I have had some low points, yet He has been there. He magnified Himself; He brought me to my knees with the knowledge I can't go on with Him. While this might sound odd, I am thankful for the opportunities that have arisen to grow closer to Him.
I am so thankful for where I live. The United States has his problems, but I am free. I can be homeschooled, read and study the Word, and I can vote for candidates that I want. That is something that I do not want to take for granted. I am also thankful for the hearth that I have to call my own, for the food to keep me full, and for fleece blankets to keep me warm.
My family is such a blessing. I can't imagine having any other. No, we are not perfect; we just try to live in a manner worthy and pleasing unto God. I have a special relationship with each of my family members. They are not same, and I am thankful for that. I have different memories for Dad, Mom, and Garrett. I love that. My family challenges me, loves me when I am unlovable, roots me on when I try something, and encourages me on the path less traveled.
The Lord has granted more than I ever thought in the friendship realm. I am thankful for the lessons I had to learn on the subject; I had to learn that no friends are better than the wrong ones. However, now I have several "sisters states away" who I can count on to pray for me. I have never met any of them face to face (hopefully, that will change) but I appreciate them anyway.
For the things taken for granted: the ability to play the piano, to walk and see, an education that opens my mind to new realms, the convictions that the Lord has given me....they are all important to me. Rather, they are God's, and I just praise Him for them.
Lord, I thank you for all of your blessings. I pray that I won't get caught up on what I don't have, but rather on what I do. You are good, far too good to me. I praise you! May your name be magnified this year, just as the Pilgrims sought to do so long ago.
Happy Thanksgiving, Everyone!! Oh, and yes, I am thankful for t
he little bit of snow we received yesterday. No, it isn't still here; in fact, it was gone by noon. However, it was such a nice surprise to come downstairs and see fluttering snowflakes. I am so thankful to live in a state that has seasons! Maybe, this year, I will get to be thankful for "a White Christmas!!"











8 comments:
Happy Thanksgiving, Ella! I'm so thankful for your friendship - it's truly been a blessing. Thanks as well for the e-card. It was fun to receive!
Hi Ella,
Yes, we all have sooo much to be thankful for! It is precious to read about your thankfulness for God Himself and for the lessons He has taught you. I too am thankful for these as well. I pray God continues to richly bless your walk with Him!
Happy Thanksgiving!
Kaysie
PS: You were so sweet to send me a Thanksgiving e-card! It brought a big smile to my face. Thank you friend!
Have a wonderful Thanksgiving, dear!
Oh, I was wondering...just what is snow? =)
Those are lovely things to be thankful for, you are truly blessed.
By the way, I quite enjoyed the snow myself even though there wasn't very much of it.
Anna, I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving. I am glad you liked the e-card. I am thankful for you!
Kaysie, I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving. I look forward getting to know you better. Yes, we have much to be thankful for. I am glad you were happy about the e-card.
Miriam, I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving...and that one day, you get to experience snow!
Hello Ella,
Your mom directed me to your blog in a comment on mine, A Quill and Inkwell. I also write on modesty, purity, and Biblical womanhood. This post is well written, and it is wonderful you have pinpointed specific things to be thankful for.
I have a sister named Ella, so it's kind of funny you share the name!
Are you homeschooled? I and my five siblings am. Well, keep up the good work! You can check out my blog if you like -- I believe we have a lot in common; a lot of the same convictions. It is:
www.aquillandinkwell.blogspot.com
Maybe we can link to eachother's blogs? I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving!
God bless you,
Phylicia
Rachel, yes the snow was wonderful wasn't it?
Phylicia, welcome to my blog. My mom told me about you. Feel free to stop by as often as you would like!
What a wonderful thankful list. Hope you had a lovely Thanksgiving!
Post a Comment