Wedding dresses across America are being dunked in rivers, doused in pools, splattered in mud, and simply messed up--all in the name of a highly personalized new style of photography.These pictures are making quite a splash. The trend is called Trash the Dress and photographers say it is sweeping Idaho and the rest of the country. For ages, brides cherished the dresses the marry in. But the times, they are a changing. Read Article (Outside Link)
When I saw this piece on my local news, I was stunned. Why are women doing this? Do they really think their wedding pictures will be attractive?
The fact that women are willing to do anything---even take a dip in the river--just because it is "fashionable" is sad. While people are willing to muddy their dress, the same can be said of purity. And yes, I can be just as guilty. The wrong thoughts, the flirting, how far we go physically...we are all putting a little mud on our future wedding dresses. We might not have thrown the actually stuff on ourselves, but white is the symbol of purity. When we sully it, it shall remain.
Something to think on. We wouldn't dream of going to the extremes featured in this article. However, when I have my wedding photos, will "mud" be seen on my dress? We all should be praying that God would help us to guard our hearts and minds so as to avoid this disaster!
~~I did this on ModesTeen (my other blog that I co-author) and I wanted to share it here!~~











11 comments:
Wow, that's so weird, Gabrielle! Why would you DO that?! And you're right; it doesn't just have to be physical mud!
I was disgusted by this article when it appeared on the news. As Alice said, WHY would anyone want to do this? To take something beautiful and clean and pure, and to sully it. Oh, may we guard our hearts from being sullied as well.
It's so sad... Why would anyone want to do that to their beautiful dress? Great thoughts on ways we can do it figuratively - it's a sober reminder.
Hey Ella,
When I read this on ModesTeen, I was again reminded of how the world can corrupt the puriest things...such as a snow white wedding dress - or a pure heart.
Thank you for your encouragment to continue to guard our hearts from the world's dirty hands. Let us not conform but be transformed. :)
Kaysie
Okay, I do not have the answer to any of you. WHY would women want to ruin their dresses. (Alice, I cannot imagine any of your sisters doing that. Martha won't at her wedding I am sure!) Yes, it is a reminder that has once again proved convicting to me. Do not be conformed! (So right, Kaysie!)
I can't imagine "trashing" my dress. Just like you said, the pure white of my dress was a symbol to me of the purity that God requires from us. What a wonderful reminder you gave to your sisters in Christ!!
Amazing Ella...what will they come up with next?!? Amazing....simply amazing. Thank you for this good post.
Neesie, I wonder what will be next!
That's very strange.
It's true, I'd never dream of "trashing my dress" if I get married at some point in the future, but when I don't guard my purity -- physically, emotionally, mentally -- even in the "little" areas of life that's exactly what I'm doing -- trashing my future wedding dress.
~Kelsey
http://setapart.wordpress.cm
Kelsey, welcome to my blog. Yes, you are right, we trash our dress in many ways....and they only way we won't is by God's grace!
Wow, that is, sadly, quite exemplary of the standards our society has set for purity. Thank you for that reminder! I'm excited to continue reading your blog.
In Christ,
Carmen
Post a Comment