In November the snow starts to fly
Piling up ankle high;
By December it’s up to your knees
Still a bride’s a bride to be;
January higher still
To the parlor windowsill;
February finds the drift
And a storm that seems never to lift;
March comes in like a lion, what else
Still the snow never melts;
April showers may come, so they say
But they don’t, and it’s May;
You’re about to forget the whole thing
All at once, one day it’s spring.
Piling up ankle high;
By December it’s up to your knees
Still a bride’s a bride to be;
January higher still
To the parlor windowsill;
February finds the drift
And a storm that seems never to lift;
March comes in like a lion, what else
Still the snow never melts;
April showers may come, so they say
But they don’t, and it’s May;
You’re about to forget the whole thing
All at once, one day it’s spring.
Here in Idaho, this beloved song from Seven Brides For Seven Brothers is a rather big exaggeration. We never get this much snow here. In fact, it is currently all off the ground here in the valley. The mountains and ski resorts still have the fluffy white powder, but barring any major storm, they have seen the last of snow.
The in between stage of winter and spring is some of the most difficult in all the world. The earth lays under a blanket of dreariness and gray. The grass is not the vibrant green, flowers are not in bloom, tree boughs lay barren and devoid of blossoms and leaves. When we are surrounded by this for so long, we can despair of spring’s arrival. At times, we can feel that this is the year when spring will not make its appearance.
The same is true in life. We can feel as if everything is only shadow and gloom. Things do not ever look like they will ever get better; we experience one crisis after another: family difficulties, friendship problems, church and health issues…I know you all can relate. This past year, I have had many times of believing that my “winter” in life would stay forever.
While discussing the soon…hopefully…arrival of spring, Mom said she once read that “one can never appreciate spring until one has experienced the winter.” I realize how true that is. I would have to confess that if the lilacs, daffodils, and baby animals were constant occurrences in life, I would not think of them as highly as I do. I would take them for granted. And I cannot believe I am saying this, but if my life was only ups, and never downs, triumphs, but never any trials, I would not be the person who I am today.
Winters aren’t all bad. We can make snowballs, have hot chocolate, and bundle up in warm blankets. Our wintry days and emotions are the same way. We often find God in so many ways that we are more often to forget otherwise. We find out how our true friends are. And in the end, when God does bring our spring, and he ALWAYS does, we look back and realize how much the winter meant to us.
So, I want to encourage you. Whether you live in a state firmly in winter’s grasp and are in the wintry days of emotional turmoil, the time will come when spring will dawn. It will be positively radiant and we shall see spring’s blessings in a whole new light!











10 comments:
What a beautiful reminder. It makes me think of Narnia, too.
Beautiful post. And so true. The winter times of our lives don't last forever, and they will dawn into a beautiful spring one day, and we will appreciate that spring even more having come through the barren winter.
Additionally, Nancy Campbell (Above Rubies) once said that it is only in the barren winter that we see sights that we don't normally see because they were hidden by the leafy laden trees. There is beauty in winter...even the winters of our soul.
Love,
Mom
The 25 months when Daddy was without a job was definitely a "winter" period. But, oh, the wonderful blessings we saw through that time...blessings we would not have seen had we not been in that season. That's why the book of James tells us to "count it all joy when we face trials."
What a wonderful and encouraging post! I truly do not like winter, I live down south so I don't really know what a "real winter" is like but I do know how emotional and spiritual winters can be. Thank you so very much for you encouraging words!
Anna, I didn't think of Narnia, but you are right. When winter was gone and Aslan came, everyone found it beautiful!
Mom, yes, Dad's unemployment was a winter time. So when all was said and done, we realized just how wonderful things(like a job) were.
Sydney, I lived down South for 10 years, so I know you don't get much of a winter...in literal terms!
Hello Ella,
Beautiful writing... very touching.
I know that winter makes me so thankful for the spring. :)
Kaysie
PS: You've been tagged... :)
Check out my blog for details!
www.alabasterboxblog.wordpress.com
March comes in like a lion, what else
Still the snow never melts;
This line stood out to me. Tomorrow morning we here in Minnesota will be blessed with subzero F temperatures. But the snow may begin melting soon. Spring is in sight! Thank you for a lovely reminder.
Kaysie and Maria, so true!
I'm really looking forward to spring too...:)
Post a Comment