Saturday, March 08, 2008

My Rating: Humbleness

No matter what I set out to do, the Lord has a tendency to turn it into an opportunity to learn something. It can be a new lesson, or it can be something that I have learned so many times, and yet need a fresh reminder of. It was the latter that was true of me the past few days.

I was prepared as I could have been for the piano festival. I was a little too close for comfort in getting them memorizing. And like always, I suffer from an immense case of nervousness. However, I also was looking forward to my playing; I was intrigued to find out how my final year would go. Let’s just say now how I wish my attitude had been different.

I did my best; I got through my pieces without the noticeable errors from the recital the week before. I thought I did very well. But I do not believe my judge thought so. I had to play a part over again in Mozart. I was corrected afterwards for play the piece how it was written. It was very difficult to take all this…but I didn’t cry until afterwards. Even then, my tears were about how I felt that I was compared to a concert pianist and I didn’t like that at all.

Like I had to go through last year, the Lord was about to take me down the path of accepting how I did. I knew that I had done my best and that I had tried to glorify God in my performance. However, was I going to be content with a lesser rating. After all, I had had “superiors,” the highest, for every single year that I had done the festival. Would I be okay with final year getting less than that—even if I had done what I thought was a top performance?

The days afterwards were filled with this question. Saturday found me thinking over multiple times the mistakes I had and the strong points that I had. I kept agonizing over everything! It was terrible, but you know, I still have some problems accepting the fact that I might get less of a good thing.

The Lord has never demanded of me that I get the highest rating at the festival, or that I become a concert pianist playing Mozart like he was primary level. He wants me to do my very best and leave it at that. A Superior Rating will fade away in time.

I still do not know what my actual rating is; I have been giving pure speculation. However, I do know what I have learned beyond the wrong phrasing, the missed notes, etc: I have learned once again that I suffer from pride. I want to appear that I have it all together; in the end, I prove that I don’t. God has work to do in me, yet He who is faithful to begin the work will be faithful to complete it!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing this, Ella. It is humbling to learn to accept that we are not always "superior" at everything we do. I have had a little lesson in that this week, too.

Anonymous said...

I think most people, if they are honest with themselves, struggle with wanting the applause of man. It is hard to be content with doing things for the glory of God, for that doesn't bring us much praise here on earth. It is a lesson ALL of us need to take to heart.

Love,
Mom

Ella said...

I want to thank you both, Mom and Anna. It is such a hard lesson to learn, and I can wonder if I have it enough to get me through tomorrow. However, God is good, and He grants me the strength, somehow, someway!

Megan said...

Hi Ella,
I just found your blog through a comment you left on Beauty From the Heart. This post really struck home...I was in a piano festival this past Saturday that sounds very similar to the one you were in. I agonized over it. My songs were not as well as prepared as I had wished, and I knew that my teacher would be one of the judges in the room (that probably shouldn't bother me, but for some reason it did). I ended up playing the songs "ok" and was grateful that my wonderful teacher stepped out of the room. That evening I found out my score was a superior. I was very happy, but sometimes I wonder why the Lord continues to bless me with good scores. I know that I don't deserve them, and I do so often struggle with pride. Thank you for being so open and sharing your heart. It was a reminder to me of how much I still need the Lord to mold me into Hs image more and an encouragment that He is faithful to do that!
I really do look forward to being a faithful reader of your blog!
Megan
(sorry for such a long comment!)

Bethany said...

Ella,
Thank you for this sweet confession. I don't think I would ever have enough courage for the festival so you seem quite brave to me, so keep up the good work. Thank you also for your sweet comment on my birthday. I hope you and your family are doing well.
In Him,
Bethany

Ella said...

Megan, I am very happy you found my blog. I pray that it ministers to you. Yes, our festivals sound very similar. I did find out my rating and amazingly, God decided to give me a superior. However, I am glad that I had to go through agony; it helps me learn lessons, even if they be over and over again!

Bethany, please don't think I am brave. God alone enables me to get up in front of a judge!

Miriam N. said...

Congratulations on your score! So much for worrying. =) I'm the same way, though.

This post put into words what I've been feeling since I found out my festival score. Yes, I've definitely been humbled. My first "excellent" after 8 years of "superior" certainly hit hard.

Does your festival have a gold cup thing? And if so, do you do it?
See, if I had gotten a superior this year I would have gotten my third gold cup.

Bethany said...

Yes Ella, you are absolutly right! He does give us courage! Also congratulations on your score!
Bethany

Beverly said...

These are wonderful lessons - and I have had to learn them too. Thank you for sharing this with us!