Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Collecting Recipes Even Now



I absolutely love cooking! I find such enjoyment in trying new recipes and making old family favorites. And even though the dishes part is not something I like about the whole process, I realize that it is an essential part of it.


My family members are wonderful cheerleaders in my cooking journey. Mom and I do a cookbook club together; Dad is constantly encouraging me to write it down when I find a new recipe. Garrett....well....he eats it for me! (And I know he will tell me when something is terrible.) Every different aspect of my family in this means a great deal to me. For truly, I have no desire to enter into marriage being unable to cook, a person who boils water and feeds her husband packaged macaroni and cheese.

This week, I have begun compiling a whole bunch of recipes for a family cookbook. Well, let me strike that. I have been writing a few recipes on recipe cards and putting them in my hopechest. But those are easily lost. A cookbook would ensure a legacy to carry on for future generations. So, with Mom and Dad's help, I am writing a list of so far 85 recipes that have been in the extended family or are our family's favorite eats. Sooner or later, I am going to get a cookbook making program and get it all on there, print it out, and keep that in my hopechest.

I was going to list two of them for you....but you know Blogger! Anyway, I want to encourage you all to think ahead and begin keeping recipes, buying cookbooks, and practicing what you have learned now! The waiting years are a prime opportunity to do all this! And I am sure you will grow to enjoy cooking and baking, as I do!

14 comments:

Alice said...

I have been busy copying recipes, too! I got a recipe box for my birthday, so that was the right motivation for me to start. I will need them this summer when I have to cook for myself (and other people) anyhow, so I am trying to finish up copying the main recipes this weekend! How funny that you should post about this; as soon as I mop the kitchen floor, I planned on sitting down to work on just that!

Ashley said...

I'm finally De-lurking!!
I've begun collecting family recipe's and other favorites for several year now and have found enjoyment in writing the recipe's out on special cards and then filing them away! Earlier this year I started a 3 ring binder recipe book where I glue the recipes on colored paper, decorate with special stickers or stamps, and then file them under the appropriate section!
Your post reminded me that I have been negligent of late and I've been inspired to start again!
I like what you said "I have no desire to enter into marriage being unable to cook, a person who boils water and feeds her husband packaged macaroni and cheese.". This too is not how I want to enter marriage. Thank you for the reminder!
~Ashley

Anna Naomi said...

Great post! And great job compiling recipes! My sister Miriam made a family cookbook called "Lofgren Favorites" before she left. I've added to it, but have found many more since! I suppose I should update it soon...

Jasmine Baucham said...

This post put me to shame. :)

I do not especially enjoy cooking -it's more of a means to an end (you know, feeding people who must eat :) But my Daddy loves it, and he's taught me a lot of wonderful things!

The cookbook I'm most familiar with is the South Beach Diet cookbook (well, all three of them, probably). I think it's a neat idea to have a recipe book especially for your family!

Anonymous said...

I wish I had done that when I was your age. Both my grandmothers were alive then, and I think of the recipes I could have recorded. Sadly, though, they are both gone now, and since they never wrote recipes down but cooked by memory or "feel", I don't have many of their recipes in my repertoire. Oh, how I wish I did!

Love,
Mom

Ella said...

Alice, believe it or not....I do not have a recipe box. I have everything sitting in my hopechest. That is one big reason why I want to compile it into a book.

Ashley, making a more decorated (scrap-booked) recipe book sounds lovely. But since I have to do two (one for Mom's records and one for me) that would be super time comsuming. But I never know.... As to the macaroni and cheese thing, many people are like that; I don't want to add my name to the list!

Anna, how did Miriam compile her book? You should make your own edition to it!

Jasmine, you don't like to cook?! Wow! That's nice that your dad likes to cook. It is always really neat to have fathers who teach us recipes. Check out Taste of Home cookbooks; they are easy recipes with good food. Doesn't require much...maybe that would help you grow to like it!

Mom, I also wish you had kept records of Nanny and Grammy's recipes. But we can start a legacy of our own so our future generations don't moan like we are!

Neesie said...

Wow. I feel so bad. You are amazing...all the things you do. :)
You have definitely given me a few suggestions on what to do over the summer! I applaud you for thinking ahead though. I'm sure your future family will be happy you did so too!

Ella said...

Neesie, I am not that great!! I just enjoying cooking! I love, in this way, of thinking ahead!

Anna Naomi said...

Miriam compiled her book pretty simply - she just made a "newsletter" on my mom's program called Printmaster, typing in the recipes and adding clipart to make it pretty. When she was done, she simply printed the pages out and slipped them into plastic page protectors and put them in a 3-ring binder with a decorated front. I did the same thing when I re-compiled it, and will try to add to it this summer to bring it up-to-date!

SamanthaMarie said...

I do have quite a desire to learn how to cook, and have had an ample opportunity lately. I go to work on many nights before my family has eaten and so I make my own dinner. It has really helped me to think of what options I have to cook, instead of soup out of can.

I'm really praying for a recipe book for a graduation gift (:

Thank you for writing this post. It's a good reminder that we do not have to wait inactively, we can always be chasing after God's heart and how He wants us to be. :) Have a lovely Sunday!!

Ella said...

Samantha, I destest soup out of the can (except tomato soup) so I have to make other things! Cookbooks would be a good graduation present!

Ella said...

Samantha, I destest soup out of the can (except tomato soup) so I have to make other things! Cookbooks would be a good graduation present!

God's Handmaiden said...

Hi Ella, this is my first time visiting your blog. It is very uplifting and inspiring! Keep up the good work! I really enjoy cooking! When my mom was younger, her family made a family cookbook that had recipes from my grandmother, grandma's sisters, my aunts, cousins ect... That cookbook is very special now since some of the people who added their recipes to it are gone now. My mom and aunts have decided to update it this year so I am looking forward to helping with that. I also like using the Taste of Home cookbooks.
In Christ,
God's Handmaiden

Holly said...

Oooh, thank you for the encouragement in this direction! For a while I was being more faithful about doing this, but haven't been as faithful lately. Sometimes it's hard to find a good, healthy, yummy recipe!