Friday, June 06, 2008

Book or Movie.....and Which Version

It is a common question I ask people. "Which do you like better: the book or the movie adaptation?" And believe it or not, most like the book better. Now, that does make sense; after all, books were around first. The author put things exactly as he or she wanted them to be. The characters, the plot lines, the sequence of events, everything. No one can improve on that.

However, when you do want to see how a producer/screen writer/director did at recreating the book, there is often the decision about which version to watch. Some turn out to be wonderful; others are horrible! (I had the latter happen with a Pride and Prejudice this week....can you believe it=)

Well, I thought it would be interesting to find out what my readers think. Listed below are some books with their movie counterparts. I will say which each is (but if clicking on the hyperlinks to see a cover would help, I added that to.) Then, comment and tell me what you think. My favorites will be in bold type! I will also give everything 1 to 5 stars....the ones I have seen anyway. =) This should be fun!!



Pride and Prejudice--the book by Jane Austen (5 stars); Greer Garson/Sir Lawrence Olivier (1.5 stars); Colin Firth/Jennifer Ehle (5 stars); Keira Knightley/ Matthew MacFayden (4 stars)

Sense and Sensibility--the book by Jane Austen (4.5 stars); Emma Thompson/ Kate Winslet and others (5 stars); the brand new edition by Masterpiece Theatre (3.5 stars)

Emma--the book by Jane Austen (3.5 stars); Gwenyth Paltrow (5 stars); the verison with Kate Beckinsale (3 stars)

Little Women--the book by Louisa May Alcott (5 stars); June Allyson/Janet Leigh/Peter Lawford version (4 stars); the Winona Ryder version (3 stars)

The Love Comes Softly Series--the books by Janette Oke (3.5 stars....through book 7); the movies (4 stars....through movie 6)

The Redemption of Sarah Cain--the book by Beverly Lewis (3.5 stars); Saving Sarah Cain (4 stars)

Little House on the Prairie--the books by Laura Ingalls Wilder (2.5 stars); the tv series (4.5 stars)

The Hiding Place--the book by Corrie Ten Boom (5 stars); the movie (2.5 stars)

Okay, so I only did a couple. Share your opinions, ask me about some more......

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Since I haven't read very many of the books, I can only comment about a few. Like you, I like the Hiding Place book far better than the movie. Little House on the Prairie, I like the TV show far better than the books. And Little Women, I like the book better.

The other movies...I haven't read the book, so I can't say which I enjoy more.

Bonnie said...

Well my fave books out of all of those are the Little House on the Prairie ones. The TV series adaptions were clever and enjoyable, but waaaay off the track!! I can't put them above the books.

I also love any Jane Austen books/movies, and the Love Comes Softly series :-P

Miriam N. said...

Gabrielle, you know my feeling on those Love Comes Softly movies, but I give the books 5 stars and the movies 2 stars.

Pride and Prejudice: Book = 5 stars, A&E version = 5 stars, Knightley & MacFadyen = 3.5 stars (quite a few things I didn't like about this one).

I'll try to comment on more of them later.

Ella said...

Mom, you and I are so alike...it's scary!!

Bonnie, I know many, many people prefer the Little House books. I also know they go way off track. I just love them!! I like almost all Jane Austen things!

Miriam, yes, you do not like the Love Comes Softly movies. I guess I like them because I saw them first and then read the books. Oh, well. There were some things I didn't like in Keira Knightley's version of Pride and Prejudice; she just isn't Elizabeth!!

Anna Naomi said...

I'd probably rate all of the books higher then the movies! =) I can't help it - every time I see a movie, I almost always think of how much better the book was. Maybe it's because I usually read the book first... but even those I didn't read the book first for, I usually end up liking the book better. It tells more of the story!

The Little House Books were my absolute favorite growing up! :-) The TV series was okay, but I really didn't like how they kept having stories about "who likes who" when the children were so young!

Neesie said...

I gave you a reward on my blog. Come on by and pick it up!

Also, I like all of those movies alot. Have not read many of the books though. I have never seen Saving Sarah Cain. Guess I'll have to get it. :-)

Jasmine Baucham said...

What a neat list! Of course, I like "Emma" the book better than the movie (5 stars for the book, 4 for the movie :), but I'm biased -read and loved the book first. :)

I like the "new" P&P and the old one -I don't care for either Elizabeth, but I like the new Mr. Darcy. :)

Ella said...

Anna, I have to agree. All the crushes in Little House the tv show are a bit much. It is funny though. I think it is whichever you see or read first that you like the best.

Neesie, you should watch Saving Sarah Cain. I thought it was a sweet movie; I cried....need I say more!

Jasmine, I guess it was because I saw the movie first that I liked it best! And I don't know....Colin Firth is always Mr. Darcy, but I had a friend who used to debate the point with me. (She liked Matthew MacFayden better)

Jasmine Baucham said...

Well, I certainly don't think its a point of debate! :) Colin Firth was also magnificent as Darcy. But again, I read the before seeing either movie, had a Darcy in my brain, and thought the new one was more how I'd imagined him.

You can't go wrong with P&P. :)

Beverly said...

This was a great idea for a post. Lets see - I think I'd have to agree on most of your ratings. I'd probably give the Keira Knightly version of P&P 3 stars. I liked the Love Comes Softly books better then the movies - just because I read the books first, and was really upset that they changed the story line so much. I am reading the Redemption of Sarah Cain right now! It is actually lying next to me on the couch - and I haven't seen the movie. I didn't know there WAS a movie, so now I'm excited!

Ella said...

Mrs. Beverly, it comes down to what you see or read first. I watched Love Comes Softly and then read the book...so Michael Landon Jr.'s way was first in my mind.

Now, Saving Sarah Cain differs from the book...but it is very, very sweet.