We all have something that helps us express ourselves. For some, our heart comes out through musical instruments. Others show love and care via hand sewn garments. For my brother, you can see what his interests are by the effort he puts into his wood products. For me, one of the ways I pour out my heart is by writing.
I can tell what my emotions are based on what I write about. When something has aggravated me, my writing takes on a passionate, sometimes argumentative, tone. When I am happy, my writing is carefree and light. But regardless of what I am feeling, I have it stashed away (either in notebooks or here on the blog) where I can look back, remember, and see if anything has changed.
My favorite way to do this is by my prayer journal. I have taken to writing down one specific prayer request or struggle for a couple of years now. When I do it, I feel so refreshed. It is one of the ways that I pray and pour my heart out to God. Then, later on, I find that the years haven't changed much; names and dates might be different, but the same issues can still be there.
Of late, I have been writing so much more in my journal. The pages can have tear stains; my struggles are there in black and white....or rather blue. I am open and vulnerable in those pages. I express my fears and doubts, as well as my praises and joys. I have several Psalms written in there; David's questions can be exactly my own. No one sees my journal except me and the Lord. I have nothing to hide; my parents know my issues just as well as I do. Only how I word things is between me and the Father. I record my anger, my frustration, my awe at His grace and majesty....and it is so wonderful to know that He reads as well as hears my prayers.
Also lately, I have found just how much release can be found when I stand broken before God. Through the times of writing in my journal, I have been reminded of just how great He is. And I will have these entries for years to come. I would encourage you all to do something that enables you to pour out your heart from our Wonderful Merciful Savior. We all are different; He isn't. We all have different struggles; the result will be the same.
Do you keep a prayer journal?
What is your way of pouring out your heart to God?
What is one thing that He is teaching You...if you want to share it?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)











3 comments:
Great post Ella - I can definitely relate!
I do keep a prayer journal, in addition to a regular journal, and I've found it helps so much in making me focus on prayer and be encouraged as I look back. For my prayer journal, I usually copy down a verse or two from my morning devotions (whatever jumps out at me) then write a prayer about the particular day and also praying through the verses and applying them to my lives. I find it helps me so much, for I write my thoughts so much more than I can say them. Even in my regular journal, which is about the day and my thoughts and prayers, I always end each entry writing out a prayer to my heavenly Father. It helps keep me focused!
Writing is probably the biggest way of pouring my heart out to God, though I can also find it in dancing and singing or playing music.
The lessons God has been teaching me over and over this past year (as you well know!) is trust and surrender to His will. He does indeed know best - I know that even if I may not always feel it. I have to constantly run back to Him and ask Him to give me His joy in all circumstances.
Great post Ella. I can relate to so much you said.
Yes, I do keep a prayer journal. It really is amazing to look back on the requests and petitions I've made over the years.
I pour out my heart to God the same way you do - through writing.
One thing God is teaching my right now is about being broken. It is something I pray for and desire in my heart.
Thanks for the encouraging post.
Kaysie
Anna, I also use my prayer journal like I am saying a prayer out loud. I find that I use this journal far more often than I do anything else. I have a journal to my future husband...but I am not so diligent with it.
I also use the piano to pour out my heart. But writing can come even easier sometimes.
Trust and surrender is a hard lesson, isn't it? You have been in my prayers! (Which you knew!)
Kaysie, I love being able to look back and see how my requests have changed over the years. Like I wrote, I find that they don't so much. But I do see improvement in other areas, and that is wonderful!
Being broken is also so hard. But I know that when we are broken, He makes us beautiful!
Post a Comment