Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Tagged! And Forced to Talk About Authors =)

Tags can be pretty fun. So, when Jasmine of Incoherent Ramblings tagged me, I decided to do it. This is different from the others, which provides a nice change from what I usually do. And since I will post my reading list later this week, it fits!

The rules:

  • Answer the questions Jasmine tagged me with
  • And then tag 4-6 other people (but I might not do that =)

Who is your favorite author and why? This is a very hard question to answer! There are so many different genres and authors that I love to pick up and read. Jane Austen is such an obvious answer (especially for those who know me) but it is the truth. Her stories of courtship, romance, intrigue, etc. appeal to me; it brings the feminine nature out in me, I guess.

Who was your first favorite author and why? There are two authors that come immediately to my mind. The first is Carolyn Keene, who wrote the "Nancy Drew" mysteries. I "inherited" all of Mom's old ones years ago, and my 8-12 years were spent reading many of them. I loved Nancy and Bess; George wasn't always a favorite. I still might pick one up every now and then to remember. My favorite one was "The Mystery at Lilac Inn."

My other favorite author was Martha Finley. She wrote the Elsie Dinsmore and Mildred Keith series. Originally, I got the unadapted ones when I was about 6, but I found them too hard to read. (The slve talk was difficult to understand!) At age 8, I got the adapted ones by A Life of Faith...and I was hooked. I own each and every one that the company put out: Elsie, Millie, Violet, etc. Though they are geared for a younger audience, I still love them. Elsie Dinsmore was always a heroine I wanted to imitate. And I still buy a new one, whenever they come out. This series is one that I want my future daughters to read....I ought to reread the unadapted ones again!

Who is the newest addition to your favorite authors and why? Definitely Nathaniel Hawthorne. I read The Scarlet Letter for school and I greatly enjoyed it. Though it was long winded in description sometimes, and it read like Old English, I was glad that I stuck with it. So, after that, I gave The House of the Seven Gables a try. I know, I know....many people don't like that one; they find it dark and morose. I thought it was interesting. I plan on reading another one in the future.

Okay, so I tag Anna and Miriam, (if they decide to do this one...no pressure! =), Kaysie, Bonnie, Jennifer, Megan, and Neesie. Hope you enjoyed it!

8 comments:

Neesie said...

Thank you so much Ella! I am honored. Much to my dismay, reading is not one of my favorite things to do, so this may be slightly difficult for me to fill out. I don't think I have a favorite author. I like many of them. I'll keep it in mind though, lest I do want to do it!

Were you referring to where I lived or as to where that beach is?

Anonymous said...

Hey Ella! (love the name; it's my sister's too!)
Your picture (or rather the subject thereof) is so pretty! It looks like Taquamenon Falls, near where I live.

Your blog is very nice, I am going to link it to mine. Maybe you'd want to link to mine? I am at Quill and Inkwell, a blog that encourages young women in Christ. It is actually my business as well. Anyway, keep up the great work!
In Him
Phylicia

Anonymous said...

What fun! Thanks for tagging me for this one. ;)

Neesie said...

Well, I live on the East coast and the beach was also on the East coast. Sorry about being sketchy, but you know how the internet is these days. ;-)

Bonnie said...

Grr, I've been tagged... ^_^

lol, 'tis ok... I'll try and find some time to post soon.

Thanks Ella :-)

Ella said...

Neesie, I know. Not many people like reading. My brother doesn't overly care for it. And I don't mind your being sketchy about where you live. I am the same when it comes to other things.

Phylicia, thank you for stopping by!

Kaysie, yes, I thought this tag was fun and different!

Bonnie, I know. I am not into tags much either. I was contemplating not tagging anyone, but I thought I would anyway!

Bonnie said...

Hi Ella,

I've answered the 'deep' question you asked me on my blog.

Beverly said...

I am excited to know that you like the Martha Finley books. I collect old books, so I have many of the original Elsie series. Yes, the covers are old and the print is small! :-) I LOVE the Mildred series as well - but haven't read all of them.