Saturday, August 02, 2008

July's Reading List

I always look forward to bringing this list to you all. I read quite a few good books this month!

Prince Caspian, by C.S. Lewis~~Okay, believe it or not, I hadn't read the book before. I discovered Narnia at an old age =) Since everyone was talking about the movie, I decided to read the book first. I enjoyed it immensely. With everyone I read, I think it is my favorite. You all know that I wrote a blog post inspired by it. I enjoyed so much how things connect from one book to the other. Now, I am yet to see the film, but I will be able to compare and contrast...one of my favorite things to do!

The Land of Fair Play, published by Christian Liberty Press~~I read through this text book for Government, which is one of my favorite subjects. I enjoyed learning about some things I didn't now, and of course, it is always good to refresh your mind on some of the basics. It was a dry book, but it wasn't overly bad!

Vienna Prelude, by Bodie Thoene~~I discovered this first book in the "Zion Covenant Series"while thumbing through a CBD Magazine. Since I had completed World War II, a book that took place in the days of Hitler's take over appealed to me. (Don't ask me why.) It is about the Jews in both Germany and in Austria. It gives you the background on what England and France were thinking of Hitler. It has the Underground...and the Germans who were loyal to Germany...not Hitler. The best aspect is how much music plays into the story. Mozart, Haydn, Philharmonics, violins, cellos; a music lover would enjoy it for that reason. The only thing in this book is that one of the characters is rather brash--but he changes.

Prague Counterpoint, by Bodie Thoene~~Number two in the "Zion Covenant Series" and my favorite of the ones I have read thus far. In addition to the characters you grew to know and love, you meet two little boys. One has a deformity and Hitler wants him exterminated. It opens your eyes to just how horrid the dictator was. There is still the musical aspect of it, which anyone can enjoy. One of my favorite parts is when they interact with Clark Gable and Carole Lombard (I love old movies, so I loved that.) The only thing to be wary about is that one girl tries to make a pass at the main guy--but nothing happens.

Munich Signature, by Bodie Thoene--In number three, there are two plot lines. One is performing on the BBC (while establishing more underground connections) and the other is the refugee quota. I never knew that nations closed their doors to fleeing Jews, Germans, etc. all because of some stupid quota. This book is also really good. Again, only one thing to be slightly aware of--the main characters are newlyweds and they act like it.

Before I go on, I want to apologize for not saying more about the series. I don't want to give the entire story line away. It is really good! Though you have to start at Book 1. Anyway, let's carry on....

Screwtape Letters, by C.S. Lewis~~Due to the adaptation of this I read, it was difficult to get through at times. So many commas! =) It's about Screwtape, a person in the underworld, who writes letters to his nephew, Wormwood. The goal of these letters is to give him advice on how to turn a Christian convert away from Christ. It is eye opening. The temptations he employs, the reasoning he uses...it was good despite it being a confusing read.

Murder on the Orient Express, by Agatha Christie~~I read mysteries, but I have never read Agatha before. I can say that I will! This book takes place on a train. A man is murdered and it's up to Hercule Poriot to determine who is the killer. He uses a lot of physiological thought and hopefully, you aren't meant to follow. (If you are, then I am stupid!) The end of this one was very good. He drops it all in your lap; Poriot makes statements that make you say "what made you draw THAT out of the hat?!"

So, there you have it--my reading. Non fiction, historical fiction, fantasy, mystery....a hodgepodge this time!

6 comments:

Anna Naomi said...

Thanks for sharing what you read last month! I always enjoy seeing what you've been reading.

I've read the Zion Covenant and Zion Chronicles books, and they're really good! The only thing, as you pointed out, is some of the love stuff. I really enjoy books that are full of history, even if they themselves are fiction!

Neesie said...

Wow. You are like Bev. Always reading atleast 4-5 books at a time!
Hand, foot, and mouth disease is a virus that is common in children. It consists of little blistery bumps on your hands, feet, and in your mouth. Some children from my church have it as well. I know...it sounds weird. :-)

The Patriot said...

HI GABRIELLE!!! :)

Ella said...

Anna, I always enjoy hearing about what you read too. I am enjoying the Zion Covenant Series~~I started #4 this morning. Thankfully, I don't have to worry about them that much. I love how the history comes alive!!

Neesie, I love to read. That's why I read a lot. I also am only reading for school right now. As to Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease...that sounds gross!!

Jen, HI!!! It is so good to have you "home!" =)

Anonymous said...

Hey Ella,
You've been awarded the "Kindred Spirit Award" at my blog. Thank you for your friendship and encouragement! You are a true kindred spirit.
God bless you!

Kaysie

Ella said...

Kaysie, you are so very sweet! I love your blog too!!