Monday, September 15, 2008

A Graceful, Not Judgmental, Blog

The Lord is teaching me a lot about grace these past few weeks and months. I have been overwhelmed by the fact that no matter how much I fail, the Lord extends grace. That doesn't mean He is pleased by what I do, but He gives me another chance...and another....and another. God does not judge and prosecute me like I know He should.

So, just as my Father acts this way towards me, I hope and pray that it comes across to you as well. For who am I to judge a person? Who am I to beat someone over the head and discourage them with legalism? Yes, I am called to speak truth and love, but the Lord does lead in certain ways.

I am "issuing this statement" as a result of things I have written. I shared about what I am going to do now that high school is over, but I hope and pray that I didn't sound judgmental or discouraging. I recognize that some girls feel they should go to college; others are "told" to. College isn't talked about in the Bible; it is for each person to decide what is best for them (with the Lord's leading.) The Lord has led me in one way, but that doesn't mean it is for you.

I am resolved to get "picky" about the issues that the Lord gets picky about. Things like modesty and purity. But when it comes to college vs. staying home or who to vote for (and I am not giving advice on that, as I am figuring it out for myself) I want you to do what God wants you to do. Provided you aren't living in a manner contrary to His Word, I will support you. My friends know this!

Nothing turns a person off more than legalism. We should all be about loving as the Father loves, extending grace to those who need it, and not forcing our convictions upon others (unless you are in a situation that should.) May we be all about promoting the love of Christ!

5 comments:

Patti said...

Living according to God's Word will look differently for each of us. For instance, yes, we are to dress modestly, but that doesn't mean we are called to a specific guideline to wear dresses five inches below the knee. We can be just as modest with something a bit shorter. We have to be careful to not set our standards upon everyone else and cause them to think they are in sin if they don't do things exactly as we do them. But a true violation of God's Word we must not hesitate to speak against (such as adultery).

I don't think your blog comes across as legalistic at all.

Love,
Mom

Ella said...

I quite agree with you, Mom. IN everything! And I am glad that you don't find me legalistic. I have been around that before and I don't like it!

Sara said...

I don't believe you sounded discouraging or judgmental, Ella. That was sweet of you to bring up the fact that you don't want to judge others if they go a different route. College can be a very challenging experience, especially on a secular campus.

I am taking one of the most difficult classes I have ever had (microbiology!), and at times I wonder, "Is this worth it?" I think it is a beautiful thing you are doing staying at home and seeking the Lord's will for your life. Don't become discouraged...I will be praying for you.

Sara

Ella said...

Sara, it is like I said in this post. After all that I have written, I hoped and prayed that I was sending the wrong message. I have a dear, dear friend at college (so I know it is God's plan for some)

I know that the Lord has a great purpose for you in what you are donig, just as He does for me in staying home!

Anna Naomi said...

Your thoughts and prayers are mine as well. It's all to easy to get caught up in legalism, when in reality, God leads different people in different ways in regards to some issues.

I enjoy your blog and all that you have to share through writing. Don't stop! =)