We all have different roads to travel in life. Some are easy ones, without any bumps and hills. Other roads are exactly the opposite; they put us in mind of a Six Flags roller coaster ride. There are roads where there are multitudes of other people traveling with you…and yet sometimes, we feel as if we are the only ones on a particular path. It is this latter road that I am on, and I would like to share my journey thus far with you.
When a young man or woman ends high school, there comes the inevitable question, “What are you going to do about college?” Most of us, then, begin the process of finding a university, deciding on our major, and then we pack up to begin the “expected” next stage of life, with plenty of people doing the same thing. Call me a rebel, but I have found that there is another exit for me. It reads: Stay At Home until Marriage with an unknown mileage marker. After much prayer and counsel, I am firmly convinced that is the exit I need to take. So, I wave good-bye to friends as they take their exit and I take mine.
However, no sooner have I begun going down this road than I meet with opposition. My cell phone rings incessantly. “Gabrielle, this is _____. Did I possibly hear you right? Have you opted not to attend college? That is absolutely madness! What about making something of yourself? How will you meet your future husband? You have just written your death sentence with your decision; you are going to regret it!” This call is one repeated over and over again, as people give me their opinions on how I need to be living my life. “What about your cousin, _____? Doesn’t their life hold everything? They graduated with a degree in _____ and have a great job ahead of them. What do you have…baking and cleaning?” Whether these people know it or not, they cause me to wonder if I have taken the wrong exit. After all, I see very few cars traveling on the road I am…and I like driving where there are people!
I contemplate turning around. My family and I haven’t always thought this way regarding college anyway. I read a book called So Much More that revolutionized my thinking. I analyzed if college was really the right thing for me, as a girl who wants to be under Dad’s authority. I consulted with my parents, and between what I was thinking and what they were also, we decided it wasn’t best for me. But did that matter? Everyone else was doing college; surely there was no harm in it. However, I didn’t feel at peace with turning around either.
I pulled over for a minute and just was still. In that quiet moment, I recalled a song that I absolutely love by Steven Curtis Chapman. The chorus and bridge go something like this, “So believe Me now. Believe Me here. Remember all the times I’ve told you loud and clear I am with you, and I am for you. I never have, I never will, abandon you. I am the God who never wastes a single hurt that you endure. My words are true and all my promises are sure. So, believe Me now.” I let those lyrics play around in my head once more. How could I be second guessing what I knew I had to do? Sure, most of my peers had a different goal and destination programmed in their GPS system, but mine wasn’t any less important. The world might say it is, but God told me to take this road, and I had better believe and obey Him. “Okay, Lord. I know beyond a shadow of a doubt you have called me to take this road, yet I feel so alone. Keep me committed to traveling this way. I know there is a future and a hope on the other side; it is just going to take some pain to get there. Help me make it, especially when the world encourages something other than You and Your ways.”
With that, I start the ignition and drive on, staying with my original exit. I play some of the messages that were on my phone. “Oh, Gabrielle! College is a blast! I love being in a sorority, my exams were decent, and I have an incredible boyfriend. Don’t you envy me?” By God’s grace, the message didn’t bother me. I realized that I have my own fun “pit stops” ahead. I plan on studying what I enjoy, yet without the pressure and stress of exams. I will do things with friends, though it will not be all consuming; my family will take top priority. And Lord willing, I hope to have ONE guy when all is said and done. Golly, it looks like a fun schedule to me!
I know I still will have struggles. They are daily, even hourly, sometimes. The road I have chosen to walk won’t be understood by many, Christians among them. However, I know that I haven’t taken a wrong turn, and there isn’t a bug in my GPS. I am right where God wants me for now.
I do not know where you are on life’s highway. Perhaps you have decided to take the university drive, and I wish you all the best. Yet maybe there are a few of you who like me, have taken the alternative route. May I encourage you that you are not alone! I am somewhere on the road too!
Blessings to ALL of you as you embark on the paths ahead of you. May your steps lead to the Master and His ultimate destination! Enjoy the ride!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)











15 comments:
Ella, I know EXACTLY where you are... and you have brought me some special encouragement this day. It is a comfort to know there are others on this highway and the Lord is here with us too. Keep holding on and enjoy life in the shadow of His wings. :)
God bless you on this journey, dear Ella.
Kaysie
Kaysie, you are such a dear. You mean a lot to me in that you are far along on your journey! But at least we're on the same road!
Again, Ella, a beautiful, heart-felt post! You know where my heart is, yet how my life's highway has taken a different turn than I would have preferred. God leads in mysterious ways, and so far, this new road has actually been pretty good, though my heart would still prefer another way. I'm glad you have peace about where you're going, and I pray God's best blessings to you in this new season! I look forward to being able to share in your journey through writing. =)
Anna, I have enjoyed watching your journey unfold, though it has gone differently than you envisioned. I never know what is next in mine; I only have the basics...and God can do anything! I also look forward to watching our travls progress (and knowing we are supporting the other!) Thanks for being such a dear!
I still a few years to go in school, but when I graduate I fully intend to be a stay-at-home daughter. I have a few reasons for my decision. Firstly, because college doesn't (and likely never will) teach what I want to know. Secondly, because unless I had a specific goal in mind (like say I wanted to be a nurse or a midwife) it would simply be extra school (aren't I supposed to have graduated from that?). Thirdly, and most importantly, because I want to stay at home and support my daddy, and if I am away at school, I lose many opportunities of doing this. Your post was very well put!
-Miss S.
Amen!!
Oh, Ella, thanks so much for posting this!! Spot on, I say! :) It sends a happy thrill through my heart to find someone else who doesn't think that you MUST go to college even if you plan on being a stay-at-home mother. Like you, I have also felt very alone in my decision not to attend college. It's so nice to know I'm not the only one!!! :)
Blessings!
Julia from Julia's Journal
P.s.
I think I shall write a post on my decision not to go to college...would you mind if I put a link to your post on it? :)
Julia
Miss S., I agree fully with everything that you said! I will be doing a more "why" post and I will say everything you addresses! Stay at home daughters are very rare, but when they are found it is such a blessing!
Julia, it is wonderful to find people who think the same way as us (but that doesn't mean I am against girls who go to college) There is just a different way out there! I don't mind if you link to my post at all!
Gabrielle you are doing a wonderful thing staying home and learning how to become a wife and mother. I think that is just awesome. Do not let those people get you down.
Blessings,
Brooke
Brooke, thank you. I don't get down too much! I know I am right where the Lord wants me to be! I want you to know, though, that those "conversations" weren't word for word! =)
Yay! I'm not alone either! :) All my cousins, aunts, uncles, grandparents are all slowly asking me, "Well, what about after high school?" It's so hard to explain to them why I am choosing to be a stay at home daughter until marriage...that it's Biblical but because they do not know the Lord, they just can't understand. Thank you so much for the lovely post! It really encouraged me!
Meghan, I am so glad that you were blessed! Yes, my extended family doesn't understand either for that reason you said--they aren't believers in the Lord. But as long as I am where He wants me, they don't matter!
Ella, I know EXACTLY how you are feeling. I have been graduated for over a year now, and although I don't want discourage you at all, I have to tell you that the opposition that you are recieving from others will not end. Be strong in the Lord and have great courage! Know that you have sisters in Christ who believe the same way you do and are driving down the same exit :) . Be blessed.
Meghan, I know the opposition will not end. And while that can bother me, it is just a factor in walknig a different path.
I've just stumbled upon your blog, and I'm enjoying what I'm reading! Thank you for sharing your thoughts on college.
I attended and graduated from college. For me, it was a place of spiritual and emotional growth, where I learned what kind of woman God wanted me to be--and what kind of woman He didn't want me to be.
While I know beyond a shadow of a doubt it was God's path for me, I saw many begin college with a measure of faith only to graduate with academic honors and a serious deficit in faith. Congratulations on your decision to be where God has led you! Your only safety and surety are to do what He says.
Even after college, my friends and I constantly face the pressure to go to graduate school. So, it never ends! But God is faithful, even unto the end of the age. Courage to you--and all the fruits of the Spirit.
Hildegard, welcome to my blog. I pray that you are very blessed!
The fact that you stated (about people losing their faith) is one of the reasons I am not into college that much. However, I recognize that God leads in that way for some, and He will protect His children from the wolves.
Post a Comment