
I don't know about you, but I can take things for granted. In my prayer life, I often pray about the "bad things." Like I am more inclined to pray when my health isn't so great as opposed to when it is. Or I pray for God's guidance when all looks dark and bleak....and not so much when things are rosy. The problem always seems to take precedence.
These past few months have been no exception.
When it comes to politics, my thoughts and prayers have been centered around the "uncertainty" that is looming. My soon-to-be president, Barack Obama, has taken up much of my prayer time. I have prayed for protection for this country, a changed heart for him, that the Lord would work what seems absolutely terrible into something wonderful. You know, the proverbial "beauty from ashes."
While this is all good and has its place, I have neglected the here and now. I still have a president in the form of President Bush. And I have let down the ball. I prayed for him around election times--and when he decided to go to war--but he hasn't been in my prayers daily like he should have been.
Now, you might be different from my family. WE still like the guy. Oh, sure, he has made mistakes. Christians expected things of him in 2004 that he didn't deliver on. He probably should have waited longer before going to Iraq. His views on all these bailouts don't one hundred percent agree with mine. But President George Walker Bush has had his good moments.
His face hasn't stared at us from tabloids (unlike his predecessor.) He has appointed two very conservative Supreme Court justices (who are there until retirement or death, whichever comes first.) He has defended the unborn by his bans of partial-birth abortion and stem cell research. Yes, he has been good.
This president is going to leave with the lowest approval rating ever of a modern president. Yet if you had watched his speech, you would have discovered he doesn't care. He has a clean conscience. Lord willing, he did all that God wanted him to do--and that earns the highest mark, despite what the liberals think.
Tomorrow at Noon EST, he leaves office. Until then, remember him in your prayers with me. Thank the Lord that he has been our president for eight years. Pray that he would be blessed in the days ahead. He still has a few hours of his presidency left--let's pray he makes the right decisions.
Our prayers for Barack Obama will come soon enough. Let's remember the taken for granted tonight.
These past few months have been no exception.
When it comes to politics, my thoughts and prayers have been centered around the "uncertainty" that is looming. My soon-to-be president, Barack Obama, has taken up much of my prayer time. I have prayed for protection for this country, a changed heart for him, that the Lord would work what seems absolutely terrible into something wonderful. You know, the proverbial "beauty from ashes."
While this is all good and has its place, I have neglected the here and now. I still have a president in the form of President Bush. And I have let down the ball. I prayed for him around election times--and when he decided to go to war--but he hasn't been in my prayers daily like he should have been.
Now, you might be different from my family. WE still like the guy. Oh, sure, he has made mistakes. Christians expected things of him in 2004 that he didn't deliver on. He probably should have waited longer before going to Iraq. His views on all these bailouts don't one hundred percent agree with mine. But President George Walker Bush has had his good moments.
His face hasn't stared at us from tabloids (unlike his predecessor.) He has appointed two very conservative Supreme Court justices (who are there until retirement or death, whichever comes first.) He has defended the unborn by his bans of partial-birth abortion and stem cell research. Yes, he has been good.
This president is going to leave with the lowest approval rating ever of a modern president. Yet if you had watched his speech, you would have discovered he doesn't care. He has a clean conscience. Lord willing, he did all that God wanted him to do--and that earns the highest mark, despite what the liberals think.
Tomorrow at Noon EST, he leaves office. Until then, remember him in your prayers with me. Thank the Lord that he has been our president for eight years. Pray that he would be blessed in the days ahead. He still has a few hours of his presidency left--let's pray he makes the right decisions.
Our prayers for Barack Obama will come soon enough. Let's remember the taken for granted tonight.











12 comments:
This is a very beautiful post. I DO think that most Christians (myself among that number) failed to pray for President Bush during the last four years. Almost like since he won the election, we figured he could do the job without God's help. Not so. He needed God's enablement every moment of his presidency, and, sadly, I think most of us forgot to bring him before the Lord.
I am SAD SAD SAD that he is leaving office. I go on record as saying I like President Bush. It doesn't matter to me if the bulk of Americans can't wait for him to leave office. This American stands in the minority in being sorry that he is leaving office, in thanking him for his service to our country and in wishing him all God's best in the years to come.
Love,
Mom
I am the exact same way Ella. I think everyone is like that.
*sigh* Yes, Bush is leaving. But it is comforting to know that God picked Obama for a reason. :)
~Madison
Amen!
Ella, I loved this post. I was SO sad when I read in the news that President Bush would have the lowest approval ratings of any president. How sad. Yes, he has made mistakes, but he really has done good for our country. And I have that same tendency you have to pray only during the bad times. Thank you for the reminder to pray during the good and the bad. I needed to read this today.
We are another of those families who still likes President Bush. *hugs* So glad to find another family that likes him!
I've heard so many Christians and democrats beating him up and speaking so hatefully of him that it makes me furious. Everyone makes their mistakes and granted President Bush made his share, but we should give grace to him, knowing that he is a sinner like us. Do we not fail too? We just don't happen to be under the spotlight of the U.S. Presidency.
Thank you so much for this post.
I was flipping through radio stations and happened across one where they were talking about President Bush. They were saying so many horrible things about him (among sarcastically calling him "mentally retarded") that I thought I was going to cry. I almost called in and gave them a piece of my mind.
But after listening to that I came to the computer and came to your blog, knowing that you were sure to have something encouraging. Sure enough, you did! Thank you so much.
God bless President Bush and God bless America!!!
Love and Hugs, Jessica
Thank you for this post. I agree. I think George W. Bush has been a great leader because of his resolve - he never wavered, no matter what heat he received from the rambunctious media. That alone is admirable! Oh, if only we could all have such faith, resolve and discernment under pressure!
~Amanda~
Exactly! A relative called and asked, "Did you watch the innauguration?" and I replyed, "No, I was asleep (No Lie)so I missed it." Now, I really was asleep, but another reason I didn't watch it was because I didn't want to see him. I remember when Bush was elected for the first time, and I will be very sad to see him go.
I also liked and supported former president Bush. I like and support president Obama too. I don't consider myself a Democrat or a Republican, but an American. I am proud to be an American regardless of which political party is in office.
This is a really beautiful post! A couple days ago, I was trying to write something along these lines for my blog, but the words just didn't come. Anyhow, you said exactly what I was feeling (much more eloquently than I could have :)).
I am so glad that y'all agree with me! We were richly blessed to have had President Bush for eight years!
Jessica, I have gotten frustrated so many times at the things I have heard said! Glad I was encouraging.
Sara, I watched the inauguration anyway, believe it or not,
Amanda, the media certainly is rambunctious. They have made it clearly obvious who their darling is!
Anna, I am proud to be an American. While Obama is not my first choice, the Lord has appointed him for a reason, one that is beyond my understanding
Ella, I came over to thank you for coming to my blog to let me know about Barney, and found this lovely post. I am so with you and yes, I, too, took our President for granted more than I should. Actually, this past week I have been grieving over the fact that he's gone and I appreciate him now more than ever. And I love the way he handled the abuse and ridicule--with grace.
It does my heart good to hear a girl your age speak about these things the way you are doing.
By the way, I would appreciate it if you and your mom would pass this link on to some of your readers or friends who might be interested in sending Pres. Bush a thank you. Actually, it's a way we can be a part of history as you'll read at that site when you get there.
Go to Mission Accomplished and it will be explained there.
Post a Comment