Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Respectfully Removed

Y'all probably were well aware of my political opinions this past autumn and winter. I certainly made things obvious, and I don't just mean by my blog posts. I proudly displayed my "NObama" button on my sidebar. Indeed, I had a message to send with it--I was not in favor of Barack Obama. I made sure it was up rather high so it would be noticeable.



So maybe you have noticed that it is no longer there. It's no longer on our car either.

On November 4, 2008, the Lord made the choice he wanted for the United States of America. January 20, 2009 brought His will to pass. I could be in denial all I want, but that doesn't change reality. For some reason that is beyond my understanding, Barack Obama is the 44th president of this country. As such, I owe the office some respect.

I still have issues with President Obama, don't get me wrong. There are things about him I want to like (the fact that he is young with children is something I can relate more easily to as opposed to a grandfatherish sort) I was pleasantly surprised with his speech yesterday. But I still struggle with the liberal agenda he is seeking to promote; his ideology and mine do not match up at all. Yet he is still my leader, the one God has appointed over me.

It is a high honor to have the title of president. To have the ability to "preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution of the United States.....so help you God" is one that should never be taken lightly. And though we can struggle with the fact that we have a liberal president now, we should be thanking the Lord that we have the ability to elect the leader we want. We don't have Socialism, or Communism, or a Monarchy, or screwed elections. We have a free Republic, and for the next four years, we have President Obama.

I guess what I am saying is that the time has come for me to show some respect. For who am I to question God's choice?! Yes, there will probably come a time when I will be so angry and frustrated with him......but I am not there yet. I have my faith in a Higher Power, a God who can change the hardest of hearts.

I am resolved to not make the same mistake twice. President Obama is going to be in my prayers daily. Wouldn't it be awesome to see the Lord turn a radical leftist into a radical rightist? And don't tell me it can't be done, because it can!! In the meantime, I am going to pray for the strength and grace to show some respect.

Would you all consider doing the same?

7 comments:

Sara said...

Ella, your decision to take the Obama sticker off was hard I'm sure, but it is so encouraging to know that you are praying for him. Sometimes it is really hard for me to pray for those in leadership who I don't like, but I know this is what Christ wants me to do.

Anna Naomi said...

Good thoughts, Ella, and I agree with you. We all need to be praying for the new president and, while we can certainly disagree with him, we are to respect his position as president.

Patti said...

God tells us to respect those that have authority over us. He also tells us to pray for our leaders. So, if we, in the name of Jesus, are mocking our president (who God allowed to become to president) and saying how much we hate him, we are not honoring the God we claim to serve. (We need to remember how David honored King Saul, a man who didn't follow God's ways)

Rather, let us pray for our president, believing that God who causes all things to work together for good to those who love him, can work amazing things not only in President Obama, but in the Christians who are praying for him.

Love,
Mom

Anonymous said...

Wow, great post Ella! :)
Mum and I were just discussing this on the way out to my piano lesson.

Jenna said...

I am praying for our new president...even though I'm not sure that I agree with him on anything. It is hard, but God wants us to pray for our leaders~

Jenna said...

I am praying for our new president...even though I'm not sure that I agree with him on anything. It is hard, but God wants us to pray for our leaders~

Maxine said...

It's really hard, Ella, but I'll try to do better with that daily prayers thing. And about God changing radicals--let's remember the Apostle Paul!