I recognize that May isn't quite over yet, but since I haven't updated here in a while, I thought I would do my reading lists for the previous two months today. Besides, I am in no danger of completing a book in two days anyway.
Byt the end of this list, you are going to think I have done something amazing with all these titles. Keep in mind that I didn't do this last month =)
Cranford, by Elizabeth Gaskell--I watched the movie first, as you all know, and then I decided to read the book. Since the movie combined three of Ms. Gaskell's novels into one, Cranford (the book) didn't cover everything in the movie...but it was still very good. What was nice was that it was a pleasant read--and not some morose novel.
Winning the Future, by Newt Gingrich--So it is no surprise to you all that I read political books. I make it a habit to check out the new book section at the library--and I tend to pick up any one that is from a Republican/Conservative point of view. I enjoy them....but not everybody does.
Wuthering Heights, by Emily Brone--Charlotte Bronte penned one of my most favorite novels, Jane Eyre. So I decided to give her sister a try. Let's just say that I like Charlotte better. Though maybe it was the storyline of Wuthing Heights that I didn't like. It was very confusing at first; it was morose as well. (It is about a love "affair" that was never to be..and how the young people, then, wanted to make the other one's life miserable) I didn't hate it by any means though. However, I did hate the 1939 version of the film I watched of it =)...afterwards
Reason and Romance, by Debra White Smith--I saw this book as I was walking around the Chrisitan book story. It is a modern retelling of Jane Austen's Sense and Sensibility. But believe it or not, everything was decent (so it wasn't made raunchy in any way) Of course, Jane Austen's work is far better, but it was a very pleasant read after Wuthering Heights.
In Praise of Stay-At Home Moms, by Dr. Laura Schlessinger--Fabulous! That is really all I need to say. Any girl who wants to be a stay at home mom, or knows of a mom who needs encouragement about what she is doing, needs to read this book. I plan on owning it. It is that good.
And Then There Were None, by Agatha Christie--I first watched an old movie of this with the family and then I had to read the book. I came away with liking the movie better (because I preferred the Hollywood ending =) but the book is really good. It is the story of ten people who are invited to a deserted island.......and one by one are murdered. The murderer is in their midst....but who? Don't let the murder plot deter you. Nothing is graphic.
Mr. Darcy's Daughter, by Rebecca Ann Collins--Yes, I just read number 5 in the series I am growing to love. This time, we follow Darcy and Elizabeth's daughter, Cassandra, as her family goes through some changes. Once again, so many of your favorite Jane Austen characters are still around, so you don't need to fret about anyone major dying yet. Honestly, you need to find this series, y'all.
Like Dandelion Dust, by Karen Kingsbury--I read this book several years ago, but considering where our family is in live, I wanted to read it again. It is the story about a family who have adopted, and yet, circumstances result where the birth family wants him back. It is a beautiful story about a mother's sacrifical love. It really made me thankful to the mother of our hoped for child for doing the right thing and giving her baby up.
A Slobbering Love Affair, by Bernard Goldberg--Okay. You want to know the byline to this one....it is called The torrid (and pathetic) romance between Barack Obama and the Mainstream Media =) Because of that, I knew I had to get it. After all, that was what I was saying; the media got President Obama elected, there is no question about that! There is a teeny bit of language, but I do think it is an eye opener.
Okay, so there is my list? What have you read lately?
Friday, May 29, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)











5 comments:
Hm, I might have to check some of those out - I've never read any of them!!
Good sounding books! I just watched Cranford, and was wondering if the books were good or not.
I am reading Set-Apart Femininity right now. It is very good!
Hi Ella!
I really enjoy seeing your reading list! When I get some time, I'm definitly going to get that series about Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth:) Those sound very good...
Your friend,
Jenna
Oh yes, I've heard Wuthering Heights is extremely depressing (I watched the old movie years ago and I didn't like it). BUT, I think you will really like a book by their other sister, Anne Bronte. It's called "The Tenant of Wildfell Hall". I'm close to being finished with it, but it's one of the best books I've read in awhile. And it's not morose at all, but really interesting once you get into it.
It was fun to read about what you've been reading! I haven't read any on your list except Like Dandelion Dust which was really good! I do need to look up the Pemberley Chronicles sometime soon!
Post a Comment