Friday, July 24, 2009

Pittsburgh Itself

Big cities are something that I do not get to "explore" all that often. After all, where I live, tall buildings aren't exactly "the thing." So, yesterday, Mr. Gorecki took Meghan, Sara, and myself all around town. I greatly appreciate his willingness to show off his city.



First stop was the Point, which is where the three rivers (Allegheny, Monongahela, and the Ohio) come together. Mom remembers that was where the old stadium for the Pittsburgh Pirates used to be. It was also where Fort Pitt stood.





The tunnel that we went through to get into the city.


The point had a fountain....which apparently gives off more water. But like with every city, something is being worked on.

The three girls
A riverboat. My Bub (Mom's maternal grandfather) used to pilot these.
I think this is pretty self explanatory. But if it isn't.....it marks the exact site where Fort Pitt once stood. All that is left is the Block House, which I went inside by the way
Heinz Field....that's where the Steelers play.

_______________________________________________________________

Not exactly in chronological order, but anyway.........There was a stop in between these next pictures. We went to the top of Mt. Washington by taking the incline. It is hard to describe--it was a car on a cable and....yeah, it involves heights and motion =)

Can you tell I was just a little freaked out =)

Sara took this picture out of the window. Me, I was more nervous, so I wouldn't look.

The view from the top
I can't tell you which bridge and river this is....because I don't know myself.


I am so proud of this picture. I took the panorama....ALL BY MYSELF!!


More views from the top

Again, the three girls at the top
Meghan and myself
Just me =)
___________________________________________________________
In between going to Mt. Washington and at the Point, we went to Station Square. It is a shopping mall of sorts in an old train station.
Now, some funny photos.
Sara demanded that I get a picture of me with this guy. I think his name was Punch and it was outside of a tobacco store =)


And Sara is hilarious. I love the Dr. Seuss wig in Steelers colors. =)


What is a day without Starbucks? =)
There are a lot of memories that don't have pictures--like eating yummy turkey salad sandwiches in the parking garage, buying something for my brother, finding myself a political mug that I just had to get (and then kicking myself that I didn't get another one for my dear sister, Jen), and so many other things.......but I hope you get the gist of everything. It was definitely an experience I won't soon forget.

4 comments:

Patti said...

I haven't been to "my childhood city" since about 1980. Although I visited a couple times in the late 80's, I didn't go downtown, so your shots are the first views I've had of downtown Pittsburgh in nearly 30 years. It's still just as pretty.

I remember the Fort Pitt Tunnels. You'll have to ask Mrs. G. if the Liberty Tunnels are still there. We used to take them into town...more frequently than we did the Fort Pitt Tunnel.

I'm SO proud of you for taking the incline and for getting the gorgeous panorama shot.

I'm jealous of the Starbucks. I could go for one about now.

Love,
Mom

Anna Naomi said...

Fun to see more pictures! The sites all look interesting, and the panorama picture was neat! I'm glad that you're having a great time!

We have what we call "The Point" here at Fort Toulouse. It's where the Talapoosa and the Coosa rivers join to make the Alabama River. =)

Neesie said...

I can't believe that you are in the state right next to me, but still to far away to see. :-(

Bella said...

Gabrielle, the panarama one is so good! It looks so professional! Great job! :) I'll be praying for you tomarrow.