Tuesday, December 15, 2009

What I Must Watch Around Christmas

One of my favorite things about Christmastime is watching particular films. You know, they are the films that you only watch once a year or so. For me, there are some movies that I cannot abstain from watching. My guess is that I have mentioned them all before in previous Christmas posts--but it is a new year--and thus, a new opportunity to tell you what I love.

It's a Wonderful Life--we watch this movie every Christmas night. Being a lover of classic films, and since Jimmy Stewart is one of my favorite actors, this is a joy to watch. Sure, we know the script inside and out, but that doesn't stop us from enjoying it.

The Nativity Story--the plan is to watch this one of Christmas Eve (couldn't think of a better time actually) What I really like is that this movie clearly depicts Joseph's side of the story and that doesn't happen all that often.

White Christmas--this musical is one that I have to watch each and every year. I greatly enjoy Bing Crosby (though I sometimes wish it were Donald O'Conner instead of Danny Kaye.) I know some people don't care for it, but I love it.

Merry Christmas, Charlie Brown--at some point, we will watch this movie. Despite it being one of those short thirty minute jobs, I find it a great enjoyment. And I often picture Linus when I think of the Christmas account according to Luke.

Christmas Child--chances are you might not have heard about this one. It is a beautiful story starring Megan Follows and Steven Curtis Chapman. The acting is, well, not Academy Award winning, but the story line is so very good. It is about a man who is searching for answers to his past and finding his way back to what is important.

A Christmas Carol--There are many versions of this movie, our favorite being the version with George C. Scott. Believe it or not, the first time I watched this I was freaked out. Since I am an auditory learner, music communicates things to me--so freaky sounding music, well.....you get the idea. You know the story line, so I don't need to tell you about it =)

The Christmas Box--This could be my all-time favorite Christmas movie. It stars Richard Thomas and Maureen O'Hara in the tale of a workaholic father who rediscovers the family he threw by the wayside. The "prequel" Timepiece, is pretty good as well.

Lastly, The Best Christmas Pageant Ever--This movie is purely comical. We can get a good chuckle, several of them in fact, from this flick. It is the story of wild kids coming to church to take place in the annual Christmas pageant.

Okay, so tell me, what are some of your "must have" Christmas movies? I didn't list all of ours, just so you know =)

9 comments:

Patti said...

As you know, It's a Wonderful Life is my all-time favorite Christmas movie. Love it, love it, love it.

I also really like Christmas in
Connecticut...although it's more of a romantic comedy set at Christmastime, rather than a true meaning of Christmas movie.

And I love the George C. Scott version of A Christmas Carol. I always get teary-eyed when he comes to repentance and shows his new side. (Actually, most of those movies cause me to get teary-eyed)

Love,
Mom

Sara said...

wow, I think I watch all the same movies you do except The Christmas Box, the Christmas Child, and The Best Christmas Pageant. I'll have to check them out.

But yep, I always have to watch It's a Wonderful Life and White Christmas, and the Nativity Story has become a favorite addition to our collection of Christmas films. And that's funny you like the George C. Scott version the best, because that's my favorite too. The last spirit used to really scare me! The newest version of A Christmas Carol (it's in theaters now) is very good too--I think you would like it. =) Thanks for sharing your list!

Sara said...

Oh, and I forgot to mention that I also enjoy watching "In the Good Old Summertime" every Christmas now too. It doesn't sound like a Christmas movie, but it's actually a remake of "The Shop Around the Corner". They're both very good, but my favorite is "In the Good Old Summertime". You would probably like it a lot.

Julia said...

Hi Ella!

Gotta love Charlie Brown. :)

I tagged you! :)

Julia

Neesie said...

I have to watch "The Grinch" with Jim Carrey. I know...it's weird, but I started the tradition a few years back and now I just have to. :-)

Jessica McDonald said...

Some of my favorite Christmastime movies are:

The Nativity Story
White Christmas
It's A Wonderful Life
The Ultimate Gift (if you haven't seen it, you should! It's very sweet.)

I never could enjoy watching "A Christmas Carol" as it always has scared me half to death. Especially the version we have which stars Patrick Stewart (of Star Trek fame). It's just plain old scary.

MERRY CHRISTMAS, ELLA!! I hope your Christmas Season is beautiful and blessed!

Love, Jessica

Anonymous said...

We've seen all of your favorites except for 4, 5, 6 and 7. We still have yet to watch It's a Wonderful Life-one of MY favorites, but the littles aren't as much into it. :) A Christmas Carol we've never seen, though some version or another is always on on the Hallmark movie/normal channel. I LOVE White Christmas-especially the music.

The littles like The Crippled Lamb movie, Precious moment's Christmas movies, and Veggie Tales-so that's what we watch mostly. :)

Hey, you didn't mention Holiday Affair!? Sara and I are hooked on watching that one soon. :)

Love ya!

Lindsay said...

Those are all great movies, Ella!! We like "The Christmas Box" too! And we have "Christmas Child" but we haven't watched it yet. It sounds like a great movie though.

I hope you don't mind... but I sort of copied you and did a post about some of my favorite Christmas movies too. I just thought it was a really good post idea! ;)

I am really enjoying your blog! Thank you so much for commenting on mine. It's so nice to "meet" other like-minded young ladies through blogging! :)

~ Love in Christ,
Lindsay

Jasmine Baucham said...

I love those! Especially "It's a Wonderful Life." I also, like a previous commenter, laugh uproariously at "The Grinch" and "Elf," though they are silly, I admit. ;-)

My favorite holiday film is actually my favorite film, "The Shop around the Corner." It has little to do with Christmas, but I love it!