Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Media Monday...on Tuesday

I'm a sucker for things that involve food--I'll say it is because I am a "foodie;" a culinary school want-a-be. It has been funny actually: movies that I have watched, whether I knew about it or not, involve food, culinary school, and restaurants. (How's that for a sign ;-) So, once I found out that No Reservations had no issues, I decided to check it out from my library.


Kate (played by Catherine Zeta-Jones) is a head chef at an upscale NewYork restaurant. Because she is dedicated to her job, at the expense of having no life, she finds herself pretty alone. However, all that changes when her niece, Zoe, (played by Abigail Breslin) becomes orphaned and thus, she moves in with her aunt.

Kate finds herself totally unable to relate to her niece--and can't get her to eat either. Things aren't wonderful on the work front either; her new sous chef, Nick, (played by Aaron Eckhart) plain old rubs her the wrong way. Yet he can get Zoe to eat and open up. Zoe, in turn, decides to play matchmaker and her Kate and Nick together.

This movie is rated PG for sensuality and language, but frankly, I can't remember the language off the top of my head. The sensuality stems from some passionate kissing--and then, it could be implied that Nick and Kate spent the night together (but that's entirely speculation; I can't tell you anything for certain--I didn't think anything bizarre)

A good friend of mine called this movie "bland" and perhaps, if you don't like cooking or hearing about saffron and truffle sauce, you might think so. Personally, I enjoyed watching the movie--I had "no reservations" about it. And I can pass that on to you.

9 comments:

Lindsay said...

I've never seen this movie before! I might have to check it out... I love movies that involve food too. :D Thanks for the review, Ella!

~ Love,
Lindsay

Susannah said...

I thought this movie was good! And I loved the food in it. :-)

Jessica McDonald said...

You watched it!!! :D Glad to hear you enjoyed it. ;D Hehe.

Anonymous said...

Mum wanted to see this-and it sounds like a good chick flick night for us girls so I'm off to look it up on our library! Love you!

Anonymous said...

I loved this movie! It was refreshingly clean and by the end of it my mouth was watering for some of Kate's cooking. = )

Anonymous said...

Hmm, I have never heard of this movie. Thank you so much for sharing about it with us! :) I love movies about cooking/food too! I am going to have to see if I can find it on Netflix so I can watch it. Thanks again for the review.

I am new to blogging, so I would love if you stopped by my blog and followed me.

Blessings,
Megan
www.followinghispath2.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Hmm, I have never heard of this movie. Thank you so much for sharing about it with us! :) I love movies about cooking/food too! I am going to have to see if I can find it on Netflix so I can watch it. Thanks again for the review.

I am new to blogging, so I would love if you stopped by my blog and followed me.

Blessings,
Megan
www.followinghispath2.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Hmm, I have never heard of this movie. Thank you so much for sharing about it with us! :) I love movies about cooking/food too! I am going to have to see if I can find it on Netflix so I can watch it. Thanks again for the review.

I am new to blogging, so I would love if you stopped by my blog and followed me.

Blessings,
Megan
www.followinghispath2.blogspot.com

Tales of Whimsy said...

Bland? No way! I'm with you. I really liked this one.