Monday, September 13, 2010

Special Blessing: Friends

"My friends have made the story of my life. In a thousand ways, they have turned
my limitations into beautiful privileges and enabled me to walk serene and happy."
--Helen Keller

Real friends are very hard to come by. There is a difference between casual friendships and friendships that challenge you, encourage you, make you into a better person...I am so thankful to now have some of these latter ones.

It wasn't always that way. My early teenage years are fraught with memories of "friends" ditching me for someone better, ditching me when they didn't like me any more...so many journal entries are tear stained as I poured out my heart to the Lord. Never could I have imagined how the Lord would turn my "sorrow into dancing."

I can see how he used the damaged relationships to point me into better ones. I had to be broken by some to be uplifted by others. I feel like praising God today for his immense blessings. This post is, in many ways, a love letter to them....sadly, I don't have pictures of all of them ;-)

My "second sisters"--Meghan and Sara. These are the two I go to see in Pittsburgh every year (well, I have for the past two years =) They are my phone talker friends; we talk for an hour minimum once or twice a week. I share a very, very special bond with them--they truly are the younger sisters I never had!! We talk about many various topics, from Food Network and American Idol and Carrie Underwood to their friendship issues, family developments, devotions, etc. etc.
The girls with their Mom, my "Aunt Suzie." I am closer to her than I am my own aunt. My last visit to Pittsburgh grew me closer to her and while we don't always see eye to eye ;-), I always know that she has my best interests at heart. Now, I end up talking with her on the phone for long periods....and Meghan and Sara practically have to wrench the phone away from her.

My "Sisters of the Heart"--Anna, Miriam, and Jen. I have had an accountability with these three for over two years now. I have been individual friends with them for about four years, but the group has grown us together. We e-mail prayer requests and goals once a week and then recap how we did. Let me tell you, it truly makes you accomplish what you set out to do! I love each of them dearly!! This past May allowed us to meet face to face for the first time; God alone opened the doors for this visit.
Just with all friendships, her have had some hiccups, a few misunderstandings. But we grow closer through them; God does work them all for good. It has been amazing to see the paths that God has taken us since creating our group--and who knows where else He will take us.

And of course, there is my family. It took a lot of pain for God to teach me that no matter what friends come and go, your family is always there for you. (Well, at least my family, as I know not everyone is as blessed.) I have different relationships with each of them; I even have a special relationship with my brother. And believe me when I say that I never expected that =)

Each friendship, both pictured and not, means the absolute world to me. I even have a special place in my heart for the friends that wounded me; without them, I wouldn't have these!! I hope you have some special people in your life. And if not, do not despair--I know they will come. I have living proof of that.

7 comments:

Jill said...

Hi Ella,

What a lovely post! So true what the value of a true friend is! They are very hard to come by. :-)

thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving such a lovely comment. I look forward to getting to know you better. :-)

Blessings,
Jill

Sue said...

Love you, too, Miss! Missing you and wishing you were here joining in with our craziness! Today was no exception...as I'm sure the girls will tell you! LOL Here is a hug for you! Love, Aunt Suzie

Patti said...

Isn't it cool...EVERY dear girl in the photos in this post you have spent time with this year...Not too long ago, you were yearning to meet even one of them, and now, you've spent wonderful times with all five (Aunt Suzie too.)

It was lovely having Anna, Miriam, and Jen here. Can't wait to have them visit again...and can't wait to meet Meghan and Sara (and Aunt Suzie) face to face.

Yes, friendships, when they're good, are wonderful gifts from God.

Love,
Mom

Anna Naomi said...

So sweet, Ella! Thanks for the fun post and memories. It is hard not to have friends close by, but you (and I!) have been blessed with great long-distance friends. And maybe, one day, the distance won't be so great...

Thanks for being there as I've walked through many things the past year! I'm glad I'm finally opening up a little more on the phone too. It was a blessing to talk with you for nearly an hour on Sunday! :)

And Mrs. G, I really enjoyed the visit this summer! Yes! Let's hope there's another one soon! :)

Anonymous said...

*Infinite hugs* I miss and love you, my older sister who I never had. :) I'm so glad the Lord brought us into each other's lives and is growing us closer with each visit and phone chat. :)

(Can't help but add that I teared up reading this!)

Chatty Crone said...

I am so glad you have these gals to be friends with - sounds like fun. sandie

Solid Rock or Sinking Sand said...

I really enjoyed reading the posts on your blog. I would like to invite you to come on over to my blog and check it out. God's blessings. Lloyd