Saturday, April 28, 2012

Crush Confession Time

Who can forget the scene in "It's a Wonderful Life" when in the drugstore, Mary and Violet are ordering ice cream sundaes....and who should be working at this same drugstore but George Bailey. After flirting with him, Violet admits she likes George. Mary says "you like every guy" to which Violet retorts, "What's wrong with that."

Confession: I can be, at times, like Violet Bick. It isn't too hard for me to be enthralled with a guy's good looks. I do have a type, though. A type that has developed over the years. However, I had to start some where. One of my dear friends recently did such a post on her blog. I have decided to stand with her in solidarity, turn this into a form of "Crushes Anonymous" and admit where my "problems" began.

1.) Dean Butler as Almanzo Wilder--Some people, like my mother, tuned in to watch Michael Landon. But not me. I was obsessed with Manly, the one Laura Ingalls was infatuated with. Oh gosh, how I LOVED seeing him on the screens. I hated when he wasn't in episodes, trust me. However, I have grown up and blond hair guys don't do it for me anymore. (Just don't tell my nine year old self that. I would not listen to you; I would not believe you.) I was in love with him more than Half-Pint was. She was trying to prove to Pa she was grown up enough to marry Almanzo....well, I was already there. =P



2.) Anthony Howell as Roger Hamley--"Wives and Daughters" was my introduction into the realm of costume dramas and what an introduction it was. *Sigh* Roger made me smile with his kindness and compassion towards the women in his life. I also felt deeply his mistake when he gets engaged to Cynthia. HE NEEDED TO GET WITH MOLLY AT THE END OF PART TWO!!!!! WHAT DID YOU EVEN SEE IN CYNTHIA ANYWAY?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Okay, I'm done now. I was so obsessed with Anthony Howell, I was convinced that the baseball player David Wright (New York Mets third baseman) had to be related to him somehow, someway. Even be his long lost twin with a different name.....but I don't see it now =)


3.) Colin Firth as Fitzwilliam Darcy--I LOVE this man. Let me say it again: I LOVE THIS MAN. I joke that I need a Mr. Darcy to compliment or counteract the Elizabeth Bennett in me. Colin Firth is Darcy personified and I'm sorry to all of you who don't see it (and think Matthew MacFayden is better). Wait a minute. No, I am not sorry. You guys are wrong. I still love you, but that doesn't mean your thinking isn't faulty.. There is just something about this man who when onscreen, I cannot look away. My love for Colin Firth has carried over into both "The King's Speech" and even "What a Girl Wants." (I'm going to confess something else right now. I love the scene where he dances in leather pants. If you don't know which one it is--google it and smile =)


4.) Last but certainly not least is Matt Damon as Jason Bourne--Okay, okay, this love, "crush," whatever you want to call it is more recent. And ask any of my friends and they will tell you that it remains to this day. Jason Bourne is a rogue assassin, not exactly my dream guy, if you know what I mean. But he holds a magnetism for me. Or it could be Matt. He is an adorable dad in 'We Bought a Zoo." "The Adjustment Bureau" was one of my favorite movies of 2011. I crush on him. Yep. I do.

Current crushes would be a list WAY too long and involved (and some would make me blush BIG time if I openly admitted to them on this blog.) However, I am all about being honest--and so there you have it.

What were some of YOUR first crushes? In movies or television of course--real life is much too personal =P

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh gosh, Gabrielle Nicole! This was SUCH a fun post! =D Hehe...maybe your Steve will resemble one of these crushes. ;) (Sorry...couldn't resist! ;) )
I may just have to do a post like this...PURELY celebrity/fictional characters, as you did, though. ;) LOL I may do more "current" ones, though. ;) Love you!

Patti said...

What a fun post! I was smiling and chuckling the whole way through it!!

I remember you having every single one of those crushes!! And I bet if I put "Pride and Prejudice" on later tonight, you would STILL have a crush on that fabulous Mr. Darcy!!

Yes, Michael Landon was my first crush...but not as Pa Ingalls...as Little Joe of Bonanza. I adored him, and even wrote him a letter.

The other crush I vividly remember is Robert Redford. After seeing "The Sting" in the early 70's, I thought he was top dog.

And, of course, John Travolta, first as Sweathog Vinnie Barbarino, then as Tony in "Saturday Night Fever." I despise SNF now and can't believe I was SO wild about that movie.

Now, of course, you know it's dead guys I crush on...William Holden, Robert Ryan, Gary Cooper, Monty Clift, Cary Grant, Robert Taylor, John Garfield, George Raft, etc. When you're a married woman, crushing on dead guys is the only safe way to crush!

Fun post!!! I think I may do it on my blog too!

Love,
Mom

Charity said...

I can't even remember Almonzo! I find that incredibly sad. But I'm thinking you loved him enough for both of us. ;)

Darcy is Colin Firth. End of topic. Everyone who doesn't think that is just PLAIN WRONG. And yes, Colin makes everything better -- even What a Girl Wants (which is adorable).

Modern crushes. Hoh-boy. Sometime, we should talk about that. But not here. Not anywhere anyone else can read it. ;)

Unknown said...

Oh fun! I especially love #2 and #3. :)

Anonymous said...

Charity--let's talk current crushes somewhere private. Agreed? LOL THAT would be absolutely hysterical!

Livia Rachelle said...

Hahaha., this was fun. It made me feel a smidge less silly, but I have still got it preeetty bad. I would not even know where to start on my list. I still have tons. Richard Armitage is my current computer background, and my Pinterest has a whole board devoted to celebrity crushes :P I might have to do a post like this too.

Grace said...

I have to admit, I really liked Colin Firth for a while...until I found out how many bad movies he's been in! ;-)
- Grace

Charity said...

Meghan -- maybe we should have a flurry of exchanged shared e-mails. ;)

Rissi said...

FUN! FUN, Ella.

Jason Bourne - what else needs saying!? ;D