Monday, April 09, 2012

Stepping on MY Soap Box

 Every little boy or girl wants a role model, someone that they can look up to. Someone who parents aren't ashamed to have their children like. For most individuals, just who their boys and girls call their "idols" doesn't matter. Anyone and everyone will suffice. But for Christian families, there are to be something more--besides a person looking cute or singing your favorite song or playing for your favorite professional sports team. They have to be a good role model in the true measure of the word. A person who lives out what they say their beliefs are. Someone who isn't ashamed to speak boldly about his or her faith. Someone who the media appears to respect and people pay close attention to--looking to see if they are genuine or if they are a fraud. These role models have a lot of living up to do.

In the past year, there have been a few guys who have been pretty vocal about their faith in Christ. For obvious reasons, it garners a lot of media exposure, yet they haven't backed down. Tim Tebow is one of the most recognizable names in professional sports right now and a big chunk of that comes as a result of his speaking about his faith, the media reporting it, and people paying attention to it. The fact that he can no longer wear his eye paint with Bible verses (like in the picture above) hasn't stopped him from sharing his feelings and favorite verses. The guy loves Christ and he wants the entire world to know. Heck, he even is open about his virginity and though SNL has mocked it on numerous occasions, he hasn't apologized for it. IN fact, I think that is one of the many reasons he rejected doing 'The Bachelor" (oh what a stupid rumor that was--that he accepted. I laughed heartily at that...and I still do.)

American Idol has its own "Tim Tebow" in the form of Colton Dixon. He is also bold about his relationship with Christ, only in a different way. It takes guts to sing a Christian song during "Your Favorite Idol" week--but that is what Colton did. He made no bones about the fact that it was a worship song and that he had dreamed of singing it. Colton speaks openly about praying before and after performances; his dream is to perform at the Dove Awards and his dream job would be to play with Casting Crowns. All of this information is on the American Idol webpage; anyone could find it. And again, he isn't ashamed of it. It is who he is.

So here is my question? This is my soap box...Where are the girls?

****************************************************************
Girls can have guy role models; there isn't any problem with that. However, it isn't a situation to which a girl can completely relate. Girls want to have at least one girl role model, someone who they can feel is walking (or at least remotely gets) the type of things that girls go through. Yet look around. They aren't there. Christian young women are sorely lacking on that front.

In this day and age, there is so much negative publicity out there involving women. You've got Kim Kardashian--who in order to find a picture where her chest isn't spilling out, you have to wade through five pages of pictures. You've got Snooki--Jersey Shore party girl who is now pregnant.....scary, isn't it? Then there is Lindsey Lohan--and we all know what is going on with her. The point is that the majority of the options for a girls' attention are ones that we want to run in the opposite direction from rather than towards.

I have yet to find a Christian young women in the spotlight--to the extent of Tebow or Colton--who is unashamed about her stance for Christ, her modesty and commitment to purity, her desire to reject the feminism that the Liberal news media promotes.....it's lacking and it shouldn't be. It isn't fair!

Christian teenagers, especially girls, need someone to look up to. We're hormonal, relational human beings who are motivated by what we see. When we see someone acting in an admirable way, we want to be like them. Guys have it--girls don't. Something needs to change, especially if we want a better world for our future daughters and granddaughters.

***************************************

How do we get there? I don't have the foggiest idea. I know that some days, I pray that the Lord would allow me to somehow, someway, be the female counterpart to Tim Tebow (and yes, I would love to marry him, but that is beside the point ;-) LOL) I want to be a person who girls look up to. Yet I recognize that it starts NOW, in my daily life. By going to work in a polished manner, by sharing my homeschooling thoughts to the mother who asks, by admitting that my faith and sense of morals prevents me from behaving in certain manners--these things get you noticed. We all have this God given ability in us.

It isn't through any effort of our choosing. Indeed, it is only by God's grace that we are made into the Spotless Brides that He sees. However, He wants us to show His handiwork to the world. I am resolved to be a Tim Tebow, a Colton Dixon, in whatever sense of the word right now. Maybe someday it will be on a larger scale, I don't know. All I do know is that something needs to change. We need less Snooki's in the spotlight, that's all I can say =D

Okay, I'm stepping off my soap box now and I'm getting started at making a difference. How about YOU?

6 comments:

Charity said...

I know next to nothing about Taylor Swift, but as far as good role models go for young girls, I like the fact that I have never seen her on the front of a tabloid, nor have I ever seen a picture of her with her top too low. But yes, in general it bothers me that there are so few good role models for young women these days. Our culture is rapidly shoving women back into behaving like sluts. The problem with this is -- they are proclaiming it is "sexual expression" and "feminism," when in reality it's the opposite. It is pandering to men's fantasies!

I think the only way you can have an impact is in being a part of someone's life. Little girls look up to you and me. They want to be like us. So all we can do is set a good example in how we behave, how we dress, what kinds of things we recommend. That's hard for me. But it is something worth doing -- not for myself, but for the little ones who eyes are on me.

Patti said...

What a lovely post, my beloved daughter!! I am so proud of the young woman you have become...so proud of your commitment to the Lord and to living according to His ways.

We cannot change the world, except by changing ourselves first. I feel very strongly that God has been preparing you for some sort of role such as you talk about here. He has already enabled you to stand alone and to endure mocking.

I love you!!

Mom

Anna Naomi said...

Good thoughts, Gabrielle. It is hard to not have many role models to look to, but you have the right attitude - being a role model where you are. Sometimes it only takes one local one. I know many moms thank me for being a role model for their girls, and I wonder how much difference I really make, just teaching them for an hour a week... but just knowing someone can help.

I do have hope for the next generation, though. There are quite a few teen girls I know that are on the right path!

Rissi said...

I agree with, Charity about Taylor. She isn't a role model in the sense that she proclaims Christianity nor does she have a platform for modesty but so far (*fingers crossed*) she has been able to keep her head "held high"... save for some of the dudes she's dated; Jake G. or John M., REALLY!? What was she thinking!? (Off subject: she looked lovely the other night at the ACM's, too!) I wish Tim the best but I think we (culture, society) likely put too much pressure on people like him. Hopefully he is mature and sound enough to withstand all the rumors and cruel whispers... otherwise, he might not be successful. That is a sobering thought.

Charity: That is true what you said about "us" setting good examples - that is something we should all strive to do. Even in the "little" things. =)

hi said...

Just a quick thought here... I think it may be a bit harder for Christian young women to keep their standards high and remain pure, when the "fashionable" standard (or lack thereof) is to look something like Beyonce (gorgeous woman, but she should wear more clothes, yes please ;) and to behave seductively for the camera. I think it's slightly easier for guys like Colton (he is great, btw) to be a good role-model, because there isn't the same sort of pressure on men to dress and look at the camera a certain way. Isn't it interesting how "that was sexy" has become such a big compliment for the girls on all the talent shows?

Of course, the fact that it may be harder to be a modest and respectable young woman in the spotlight is no excuse for to lower standards. And I must say I am pretty impressed with how Taylor Swift has conducted herself. She doesn't claim to be a Christian, but she takes being a role model very seriously, and I have a lot of respect for her.

I actually really like Jordin Sparks, as well. I'm not crazy about everything she's done in the industry, but she is a professing Christian, and seems like a really sweet, classy girl. Kudos to her! ;)

Michaela W. said...

I really enjoyed hearing your thoughts about this Gabrielle. Especially when you were saying that the change starts inside of our individual hearts. And after reading your blogpost and examining my own life, I've realized that the role models, or older girls I have looked up are not famous. I've met them in church or through different church functions and they have really been a light and example to me because they live out their faith in their lives, even if it isn't posted on the cover of a magazine to everyone to read about. That is the young woman that I want to be to the girls younger than me... :)
And this is a little random, but someone who I have a heavy dose of respect for recently is the resigned Victoria Secret model, Kylie Busetti. What she did took courage, but she followed through with what is right, rather than received fame and wealth for promoting her body.
Anywho, thanks again for the thoughtful post. Hope you have been doing well! :) <3Michaela