Monday, April 23, 2012

The Wednesday Letters--a Book Review

Title: The Wednesday Letters
Author: Jason F. Wright
Published Date: 2008
My Rating: 3.5 out of 5 Stars

They had a beautiful love story. Every Wednesday, Jack Cooper wrote his bride, Laurel, a letter. From their wedding night through thirty-nine years of marriage, he chronicled daily events, his thoughts and emotions, his loving tidbits to his wife. Laurel treasured these letters and held them close to her heart. However, with age comes ill health. Jack suffers from brain cancer and Laurel has heart problems. In one short evening, both husband and wife die in each other's arms...but not before Jack is able to write one final letter.


Their children Matthew, Samantha, and Malcolm all find their way from for the funeral. They come with broken lives. Matthew and his wife are longing for an adoption to come together. Samantha is a divorced single mom who is no longer doing her first love--that of acting. As to Malcom, well, no one has seen high nor hair of him for years. He left Virginia, and even the states, under dubious circumstances and his return will make it slightly iffy with the law. He also comes home to Rain, a family friend who he used to be--strike that, is--is still in love with. These three kids had no idea about the letters from her father, but while cleaning up their family's bed and breakfast, they find them all. And it is about to change their lives forever.

Working at the library has many advantages. The top one is having various coworkers who are always ready with a recommendation. One of my dear friends mentioned this book and author to me; I had never even heard of either. But I was very glad to have found this little gem. The author's style reminded me of Richard Paul Evans (author of The Christmas Box) and the book was an easy read. Every person needs a couple of those sometimes =)

It could be better written, yet for modern "literature," it was pretty good. The characters I had mixed emotions about; some I liked more than others, which always happens in books anyway. There is a twist that takes place midway through the book that frankly, I'm glad transpires. Not that The Wednesday Letters would have gotten monotonous; this just prevented that. The entire concept of the book--writing letters--sounds like a wonderful way to make your marriage special. You know? And the fact that the guy is the writer makes it even cooler.

So when you are next at the library, take a gander down the aisles and pick up this volume. I think you will enjoy it. I really do.

No comments: