
Title: This Means War (2012)
Starring: Reese Witherspoon, Chris Pine, Tom Hardy, Chelsea Handler
Rating: PG-13
My Rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars
What happens when you screw up on a major CIA assignment? You get "desk duty" that's what! And alas, that is the problem for FDR Foster (Chris Pine) and Tuck Hansen (Tom Hardy). On a mission that was supposed to be undercover, FDR and Tuck utterly and completely make their presence known--and only "killed" one of their targets. The other has made it his vendetta to avenge his brother's death...and he will do anything and everything to track FDR and Tuck down.
Meanwhile, you have Lauren Scott (Reese Witherspoon), a product tester who is struggling to get over her previous break-up. Her best friend, Trish, (Chelsea Handler) has signed her up for an online dating service, much to Lauren's chagrin. However, she ends up following through on a date--one that just so happens to be with Tuck. All goes well and after the date, Lauren just so happens to meet FDR. THAT goes well too. Too well.
One day at work, FDR and Tuck discover that they are dating the same girl. They vow to not interfere in each other's relationships--or tell her that they are friends or know about the other--and they also vow not to take things too far. However, we're talking about two guys and a girl with the ability for all kind of spying. This means war!
**********************************************
I have toyed for quite a while about seeing this movie. I remember by the commercials that it looked absolutely hilarious and kind of cute.....but I also had concerns because of Chelsea Handler. By the time the credits rolled, I had much the same thoughts as I did before I sat down and viewed the film. I enjoyed Reese Witherspoon in "Sweet Home Alabama" and Chris Pine in "Princess Diaries 2: Royal Engagement" (yep. He was in that ;-)), so seeing the two of them in a film together was kind of adorable. I think the entire cast played well off of each other, which is something that you always like to say about a film. I found plenty to laugh about as well opportunities in which to talk to the screen. I do that, you know?
However, I do have some issues with this movie. How can I say this?......Both guys had moments where they came off as jerks. I wasn't sure if I wanted Lauren with either Tuck or FDR. The best line Chelsea Handler says in the entire movie is about "choosing a guy at the end of the day that makes you a better person." It's kind of hard to figure out why Lauren does pick the guy that she does. I never saw any indication that that was the best guy for her. Granted, I *liked* him and his character did evolve, but not as much as I would have liked.
And then.....there is the content. Several of my friends have watched this movie with ClearPlay, so their reviews might be better to follow than mine. As Rissi said, it was a lot classier than I thought it would be. And it was. However, I would love to get rid of Chelsea Handler's character from the entire movie. It is her parts that you have to be wary of. You might be best advised to watch the entire movie with a remote close at hand--and then fast forward every time she is on the screen. I mean, we have innuendo, foreplay, etc. And then...yes, there is more....Reese Witherspoon's character doesn't care about sleeping with both guys to see which one she is more compatible with. Well, she does it with FDR and almost gets that far with Tuck. So yeah, those moments could be skipped to. There are some profanities as well.
But you know what, in spite of all this, I liked the film. A lot. I smiled and laughed and ultimately, I was happy with the outcome. It just has a few hiccups in getting to that point though. So, if you do watch it...two things: Go in with both eyes open and then, let me know what you think of it.











3 comments:
Oooo! I am so glad you finally saw this, Ella. :-)
Okay... I actually liked who she wound up with BUT I know I am in the minority here.
Spoiler: I thought it was telling that she said her one suitor merely made her feel "safe" while the guy she ultimately ended up with challenged her, thus, he was the one that made her a better person. END
That one line may have totally redeemed Chelsea but... yeah, then again maybe not. :-)
THANKS again for the link, girl!
Just so you know, I loved who she wound up with! =) He was my top, top choice for her <3 So you aren't in the minority, my dear
Oh, good! I am so glad - a lot of people do have "issues" with this type of premise and the relationship that comes with it, and though I "understand" that, I say you have to take this as it is: Entertainment.
Fortunately, my parents raised me not to be swayed by what I see in films.
Post a Comment