Tuesday, November 06, 2012

It's in God's Hands



Yep. It's Election Day. Honestly, I don't know what those two words inspire in me. I'm a political girl--O can talk it with a wall if I so desired...But on the flip side, after you've watched debate after debate, gotten call after call, seen commercial after commercial, it is enough to wear even the most political die hards down.

I'm not going to write a post about telling you whom you should vote for. Frankly, one of the best things about living in America is the freedom to choose our candidate, regardless if they are "red" or "blue." I do emphasize that if you can vote, go out and do it. Now, my state goes red every single time and I know it won't be any different hours from now. And my state also has a strong inclination towards apathy so sometimes voting seems pointless. But it isn't. So yes, going to my polling place is on my "to-do" list for today.

I also cannot predict who is going to win today. I mean, there are battleground states galore. One poll says Romney is ahead, another says President Obama. There is even talk--sure hope this doesn't pan out--that we will have another 2000 Bush/Gore scenario or maybe even a tie. I do know that California will go blue. I'm sure citizens in New York and New Jersey might cry foul about not getting to polling places because of Hurricane Sandy........it's interesting.

Last go-around, I had very strong opinions about the election. This time.....sigh.....I'm not sure what has changed. I am just overwhelmed by the knowledge that regardless of whether President Obama gets reelected or Mitt Romney takes up residence in 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, God is still on the Throne. Whoever gets appointed by the people will be the one that God ordained. Even if it doesn't seem to make sense to our human eye.

Now, this doesn't mean I don't want things to unfold in a certain way. I do. I'm going to begin the evening with a "Bipartisan Meal" (Pizza--for Chicago and President Obama, either Lobster Rolls or Clam Chowder--for Massachusetts and Mitt Romney, a salad with either Catalina (red) or Bleu Cheese Dressing, and Boston Cream pie....and red and blue jellybeans) and my expectations high. Then I will watch NBC and get REALLY riled up. And then, depending on how the evening goes, my Facebook will either be ultra depressing and Doomsday like or more optimistic....We shall see, won't we.

God is good. Good just doesn't sometimes take on the image that we want it to. I'm trying to do better this election than I did in 2008. My trusting attitude might not last long, but let's see.

NOW GO VOTE!!!

Ella

3 comments:

Rissi said...

Voted earlier today! That is the only say you have in who becomes President and though I know who I want voted in, I cannot change the outcome.

Lovely to see you blogging again, Ella! :)

Patti said...

I agree, God is sovereign, and no matter who wins, He will have ordained that to be. Also, Jesus will still be on His throne.

Carissa (Regency Woman) said...

I immediately took a lot of my political facebook likes off my account when we lost. I just couldn't stand the doomsday weeping that was going on. That type of behavior doesn't do anyone any good. I'm still in shock, I admit, but God is still in control. He must have a plan for all of this weirdness. Although I hated watching Mitt lose while I was at work! I'd rather have been home. Then maybe I'd have been able to cry.